Search for Names, Places and Biographies

Already layed Stumbling Stones

back to select list

Dora Canepa (née Röhmann) * 1887

Wellingsbütteler Landstraße 165 (Hamburg-Nord, Ohlsdorf)

JG. 1887
ERMORDET 3.1.1945

further stumbling stones in Wellingsbütteler Landstraße 165:
Elisabeth Mansfeld, Anna Röhmann, Amalie Röhmann, Martin Röhmann

Amalie Röhmann, née Segall, born on 16.10.1852 in Crone, deported on 9.6.1943 to Theresienstadt, perished there on 15.9.1943
Anna Röhmann, née Cossmann, born on 17.2.1866 in Soldin, deported on 15.7.1942 to Theresienstadt, further deported on 21.9.1942 to Treblinka and murdered
Martin Röhmann, born on 6.5.1876 in Berlin, took his own life under the pressure of persecution on 3.9.1942 in Hamburg
Dora Canepa, née Röhmann, born on 15.12.1887 in Berlin, deported on 8.3.1944 to Ravensbrück concentration camp and died there on 3.1.1945

Wellingsbütteler Landstraße 165

Amalie, called Male, Röhmann, née Segall (born 16.10.1852), came from Groß Schliewitz near Crone, Kreis Tuchel in West Prussia, and was the daughter of Dora and David Segall. She was married to Julius, called Joseph, Röhmann. Their son Martin was born on May 6, 1876 in Berlin-Friedrichshain, Friedenstraße 89. A closer connection of the Segall and Röhmann families can be found in the Berlin address book before Martin's birth. Around this time, the merchant J. Röhmann and the wine merchant Joh. Segall both lived in Berlin-Friedrichshain, Lange Straße 17-19. Martin Röhmann grew up in Berlin with siblings who were also born there, the older brother James (born 19.11.1872) and the younger siblings Henny (born 24.7.1878), Dora (born 15.12.1887) and Dagobert (born 27.4.1889).

Martin Röhmann married in his first marriage Anna, née Cossmann (born 17.2.1866 in Soldin, Neumark), who was ten years older. She was the daughter of Johanna, née Wahrenberg, and Moritz Cossmann. The marriage ceremony was performed by Rabbi Dr. Rosenzweig on October 8, 1901, and took place in the big synagogue at Oranienburgerstraße 30 in Berlin. At that time Martin Röhmann lived with his parents at Weberstraße 60 in Berlin-Friedrichshain and Anna Cossmann at Große Frankfurter Straße 122. Her parents had already died in Soldin. His father Joseph Röhmann and the merchant Moritz Manasse served as witnesses to the marriage.

Martin's older brother James Röhmann entered into marriage two days later, on October 10, 1901, in Berlin with directrice Cäcilie Konski (born 12.1.1879 in Schroda), daughter of a master glazier. A year later, their first child Irma was born on June 2, 1902. In 1904, son Kurt followed on August 11, 1904.

Martin's sister Henny was married a few months after her brothers, on January 22, 1902, to furrier Adolf Feybusch (born 1876 in Fordon, Krs. Bromberg) by Rabbi Dr. Blumenthal, also in the synagogue at Oranienburgerstraße 30 in Berlin.

The first daughter of Anna and Martin Röhmann, Johanna was born on May 3, 1903, at Schlüterstraße 67, Charlottenburg, Berlin. Amalie and Joseph Röhmann, Martin Röhmann's parents, lived nearby at 119 Schillerstraße. A year later, Martin Röhmann and his family moved from Charlottenburg to Hamburg. Their second daughter Ella was born there on September 29, 1905, in their apartment at Methfesselstraße 76, Hamburg-Eimsbüttel. Martin Röhmann had begun to build up a business as a "business traveler" or "agent" in Hamburg.

In October 1907, his parents also followed him to Hamburg. Amalie and Joseph Röhmann moved in with their son and his family at Grindelberg 2, 1st floor.

Their daughter Dora Röhmann, married Friedrich Rudolf Fraenckle (born 25.1.1886) in Charlottenburg near Berlin in 1908. He was an electrician, Protestant and came from Karlsruhe; Dora remained "Mosaic" (Jewish). Her father Joseph Röhmann was best man at this wedding.

The time Amalie Röhmann and her husband spent together in Hamburg lasted barely two years. On August 7, 1909, Joseph Röhmann died in the Israelite Hospital at the age of 63.

The addresses of the merchant Martin Röhmann changed more frequently in the next few years; he lived in Pinneberger Weg for two years starting in 1907, then in Grädener Straße, in Grindelberg 2 and in Isestraße 89 and 91. Since 1912, Martin Röhmann's daughter Ella attended the higher Israelitische Töchterschule in Carolinenstraße, as presumably did her older sister Johanna. Since 1913 Martin Röhmann was a registered member of the German-Israelite Community of Hamburg and lived together with his mother Amalie Röhmann at Grindelberg 80a. In the following period, he founded a company with his partner W. Dehn, a trading business for footwear and rubber heels. The business premises were located at Alten Steinweg 71/72, where he later lived.

At the beginning of May 1915, Martin Röhmann obtained a trade license as a merchant and manufacturer. The business cooperation with his partner lasted only a short time. During the First World War, Martin Röhmann became the sole owner of the company and expanded his business around 1917 with a slipper factory at Alten Steinweg 16.

Amalie Röhmann was a support to her son and the family. She had obtained a trade license in December 1916, was the owner of a shoe repair shop, and traded in rubber heels and shoemaking items. She sold the goods at Kuhmühle 16 at Wipfler, first floor, and at Lappenbergsallee 30. At that time she lived at Schaarsteinstraße 24, 1st floor.

Their youngest son Dagobert had also moved from Berlin to Hamburg. He married Hermine Tiemann on December 2, 1914. She was baptized Lutheran and was the daughter of a Hamburg laborer. At that time Dagobert Röhmann was a theater master, later a showman. Their daughter Edith was born in Hamburg on December 4, 1915.

Her daughter Henny's marriage to Adolph Feybusch, who ran a furniture buying and selling business in Kiel, was divorced on December 28, 1916, at the Royal District Court in Kiel. In her second marriage, she married Josef Heinrich Cossmann (born Aug. 14, 1876, in Cologne), a Catholic landstorm man, on June 13, 1918, in Kiel.

After the end of the First World War, Martin Röhmann acquired the house at Wellingsbütteler Landstraße 165 in 1919. The villa had changed hands only two years earlier for 4000 marks. Martin Röhmann moved in there with his wife, their two daughters and his mother Amalie Röhmann. He had moved his Hamburg rubber distribution company with a mechanical shoe repair shop to Großen Burstah 31. The family lived there together for only a short time. The couple separated and Anna Röhmann, née Cossmann, moved to Feldstraße 51.

Their oldest daughter Johanna had been staying with the Cohn family in Münster for a quarter of a year, around the time of her 15th birthday. In the meantime she lived with her mother and for a short time in the orphanage, where she also worked. Then she moved in with her father and was employed in her father's company at Burstah 31 from April 1919. From April 1921 she lived with her father in Wellingsbüttel, according to entries in the population register until August 1921, where the entry "secretly removed, drifts around" is recorded. In the Kultussteuerkartei of the German-Israelite Community, the last entry for Johanna Röhmann is "moved away in 1926". The emigration documents record that she left Hamburg on the steamer "Albert Ballin" and was already in New York on November 18, 1923.

In May 1921, Martin Röhmann had an extension for a stable approved by the building authorities. The plans called for stables for pigs, chickens and goats. In the still rural districts of Hamburg, this was not uncommon for self-sufficiency in country villas.

During this time and in the following years, drastic changes occurred in the extended Röhmann family, in Martin and his siblings. Their marriages were divorced and each of them entered into a new marriage.

The divorce of Martin's younger sister Dora Fraenckle, née Röhmann, was finalized in March 1920 and she married Karl Ludy (born 4.11.1894 in Mengen, Württemberg) in her second marriage on February 17, 1923 in Hamburg.

The marriage of Anna, née Cossmann, and Martin Röhmann was divorced on January 6, 1922 before the Hamburg District Court. Three months later, Martin Röhmann married Martha, née Schulz (born Aug. 30, 1896 in Altona), a non-Jewish woman, in his second marriage on April 2, 1922.

At this time Martin and Anna Röhmann's younger daughter Ella successfully completed her ten-year school education at the Jewish girls' school Carolinenstraße. From 1923 she worked as a dental assistant for Dr. Max Brandenstein. She lived with her mother at Hasselbrookstraße 86, 1st floor.

Henny Cossmann's second marriage was also divorced in December 1921. She married in her third marriage on October 12, 1925, the merchant Wilhelm Kracht (born October 17, 1868 in Kathstelle, Steinburg County). The couple Dagobert and Hermine Röhmann divorced in 1923. Both entered into a second marriage, Dagobert in September 1926 in Frankfurt am Main with the artist Bertha, née Adler (born 1892), Hermine with Paul Deck in December 1926 in Hamburg.

The marriage of James Röhmann and Cäcilie, née Konski, was divorced on December 1, 1923 before the District Court I in Berlin. Three weeks later, James married Anna Pietsch, née Schmidt (born Feb. 6, 1880), a widow from Demnin, on Dec. 22, 1923.

The second marriage of Dora Ludy, née Röhmann, did not last long either. After three years of marriage, she divorced in May 1926. On December 15, 1928, she married Ferdinando Domenico Canepa (born 8/22/1895), a commercial clerk from Genoa who was seven and a half years younger than her.

In December 1927, Martin Röhmann had had a passport issued for a trip abroad to "the Czech Republic". From the description in the passport protocol, it can be learned that he was of medium height, had brown eyes, grayish hair and a scar on his left hand.

In the Jewish cultural tax file, Martin Röhmann is listed as having a son Harald (born 28.1.1928), "Aryan", "adopted child". He was the natural second child of the leather merchant Gustav Carl Caesar Schulz and Herma Friederike, née Grünwaldt. The marriage was divorced in October 1929. Gustav Schulz was the brother of Martin Röhmann's second wife Martha, née Schulz, whom Harald then adopted. Harald lived with Martha and Martin Röhmann in Klein Borstel.

On September 6, 1930, Martin Röhmann became a citizen of Hamburg. On November 26, 1933, he resigned from the German-Israelite community. He converted and became an Evangelical Lutheran. At this time, the extended Röhmann family had to cope with heavy blows of fate.
Amalie Röhmann's eldest son James, a commercial salesman by profession, had committed suicide together with his wife from his second marriage. On the morning of December 10, 1932, both were found dead with gas poisoning in their apartment in Hamburg-Dulsberg, Schwansenstraße 2, 2nd floor. James Röhmann was 70 years old, his wife Anna Röhmann, 52. After cremation at Ohlsdorf Crematorium, their ashes were interred at Ohlsdorf Cemetery on February 6, 1933, grave location Bm 69, row 68.

Amalie Röhmann's daughter Henny, who last lived in Kiel, Schülperbaum 20, had also put an end to her life a few months later, poisoning herself "out of fear", according to her son-in-law Hugo Kruse. On July 27, 1933, she died in the morning in the municipal hospital of luminal poisoning (sleeping pills). She was buried in the Jewish cemetery "Harries".

Martin and Anna Röhmann's younger daughter Ella worked from 1934 as a receptionist for the dentist Dr. Paul Abelsheim, whose practice was located at Hellbrookstraße 79 in 1937. Ella lived with her father and grandmother Amalie Röhmann on Wellingsbütteler Landstraße until 1937, and from 1937 near her workplace at Schwalbenplatz 7, with Pampfer. On January 19, 1938, Ella Röhmann resigned from the Protestant Church. She decided to leave Germany.

On Christmas Eve 1938, Ella Röhmann left her native city and emigrated to England. In order to find a job opportunity in exile, she had previously prepared herself in Hamburg with a one-year cook apprenticeship at the English Hotel. She never saw her gold necklace and a gold bracelet deposited in the Deutsche Bank safe deposit box again. The jewelry was removed from the strongroom and delivered to the public buying office. The equivalent value, usually reduced to a tenth, was transferred to her "security account." Only a gold ring with diamonds worth RM 40 and a gold Calotte wristwatch, which she wore on her body, were released at the border control point when she left the country. On the day of her emigration, Ella also lost her father's house. On December 23, 1938, a purchase agreement for the property at Wellingsbütteler Landstraße 165 was concluded between Martin Röhmann and Martha Röhmann, née Schulz. The property became the property of his "Aryan" wife. According to the "Regulation on the Use of Jewish Property" of December 3, 1938, permission for this was granted by the Reich Governor in Hamburg with the proviso that the cash amount for the purchase price be paid into a blocked account, which Martin Röhmann could only dispose of with the approval of the Chief Finance President.

Ella Röhmann asked the Chief Finance President, Foreign Exchange Office, from her English exile in Seeds on March 18, 1939: "I would now like to politely ask you to make the proceeds of the gold available to my poor old mother. I would like to give it to her for her 73rd birthday. As the bank informs me, my gold is at the disposal of the foreign exchange office. Address of my mother, Hasselbrookstraße 86". The bank asked the Oberfinanzpräsident, Devisenstelle, for permission. The answer to this is not known.

When Martin Röhmann's youngest brother Dagobert was no longer allowed to practice his profession when the National Socialists came to power, he had initially been employed by the Nothilfe für Künstler (Emergency Aid for Artists) founded by the Jewish Community. In Hamburg, he had last lived at Peterstraße 36, House 3, first floor.
On January 24, 1934, he had left the Jewish Community and moved with his wife to his mother-in-law in Königshütte. When they had not received a residence permit there, they had moved to Vienna. With the annexation of Austria by the National Socialists in March 1938, the couple had parted ways there. His wife had gone back to Hamburg and Dagobert Röhmann had fled from Vienna to Switzerland. There he gained a foothold in the vaudeville business. He had loved the circus since childhood and in his youth had trained his stomach and swallowing muscles in such a way that he could swallow things and bring them out again to the amazement of the audience. During a performance in a nightclub in Switzerland, he was discovered by a talent scout and was able to emigrate with him to the USA in 1939.

As can be seen from the registration registers, other Jewishly persecuted people also found shelter for a short time in the villa of Martin Röhmann or his wife Martha at Wellingsbütteler Landstraße 165. Since April 1940, the "domestic servant Anna Canapa, née Röhmann (born 15.12.1887 in Berlin) (correctly Dora Canepa, Martin Röhmann's eleven years younger sister) lived and worked there. She had moved from Abendrothsweg 48, 1st floor, where she had lived with Bock. After two failed marriages, she was now living apart from her third husband, with her brother's family. In July 1941 she left Klein Borstel and moved to Hasse, Jungfrauenthal 8, 2nd floor.

At the end of October 1940 Elisabeth Mansfeld (born 29.8.1920 in Lüchow-Dannenberg) had come from the house of Edgar Hirsch (see his biography), Brombeerweg 47, to the house of the Röhmanns to work and live there as a housemaid. Two days after her 21st birthday, on August 31, 1941, she moved to Grindelallee 54, house 3. Elisabeth Mansfeld was deported to Riga on December 6, 1941, and murdered.

After her daughters had moved away, Anna Röhmann lived as a subtenant at Gertigstraße 9, 2nd floor, with Sommerfeld, then at Grindelallee 81 with Abel. From the beginning of February 1941, her last residential address was the "Judenhaus" at Kielortallee 22, the former "Oppenheimer-Stift," founded by Hirsch Berend Oppenheimer (1794-1870). From the beginning of the year, she received support from the Jewish Welfare Organization. On July 15, 1942, she was deported from the collection point Volksschule Schanzenstraße to Theresienstadt. After two months, she was deported from there on September 23, 1942, on one of the dreaded transports and murdered in Treblinka. Anna Röhmann, née Cossmann, was 76 years old.

When Dora Canepa returned to the villa at Wellingsbütteler Straße 165 once again after ten months, this time from Heinrich-Barth-Straße, her brother Martin had already died. On September 3, 1942, Martin Röhmann had taken his own life at the age of 66. The reasons for this can be found in the statement made by his wife Martha Röhmann when questioned by the Criminal Investigation Department the following day: "We led a mixed marriage. My husband was fully Jewish and I am Aryan. Through the Gestapo we received the order, if the marriage was not divorced, to vacate the property in Wellingsbütteler Landstraße by 15.09.1942 and to move to Rutschbahn No. 25 [the "Jewish house for mixed marriages"]. In the Rutschbahn we were given a room with use of the kitchen. Since my husband did not want to cause any trouble for me and the foster child who was still staying with me, he voluntarily committed suicide by taking pills. He carried out the deed on 3.9.1942 in the afternoon hours, when I was present in the store. When I came home on 3.9.1942, at about 5:00 p.m., he had taken two tubes of luminal tablets. He had already lost consciousness. By order of the district physician, Dr. Manzhard [correctly Manshardt], Hamburg-Fuhlsbüttel [Ralph-Barbarad-Straße 315, today Maienweg], he was transferred to the Israelite Hospital. In the hospital he died of the consequences. He had been in possession of the luminal tablets for years. Where he obtained the tablets from, I cannot say."

Martin Röhmann was buried eight days later in an urn grave in a Jewish burial plot designated for that time in the Ohlsdorf cemetery near Chapel 13, Bi 68, No. 482. Today, the memorial for Jewish victims is located there.

Klaus Timm, who had grown up in the neighborhood, remembers as a contemporary witness, as a boy of six years, that Martin Röhmann is said to have put his German shepherd to sleep with sleeping pills shortly before his death. Later, between the house and the street, there was a large erratic boulder with the old Frisian inscription carved on it: "LEVER DOD SOM SLAV" (Better death than a slave). The neighbors told that Röhmann's dog was buried there.

For Amalie Röhmann, the last residential addresses after she left Wellingsbütteler Landstraße on October 25, 1941, were Weidenallee 12, at Zeughausmarkt 12 and Hochallee 66. On September 15, 1942, Amalie Röhmann first came to Schäferkampsallee 25/27, to the nursing home of the Jewish Community. She had to spend the last time before her deportation in the "Judenhaus" at Beneckestraße 6. On June 9, 1943, she was deported to Theresienstadt.

The head of the Jewish Community, Max Plaut, informed her daughter Dora, married Canepa: "Dear Mrs. Canepa, I inform you that satisfactory news has been received from your mother. Strompf's relatives have received a card from Mrs. Strompf informing them that your mother has survived the trip best of all the old people, that she is well accommodated and that she is well. With many greetings".

A month later, on September 15, 1943, Amalie Röhmann, née Segall, died in Theresienstadt, a month before her 91st birthday. (The aforementioned Hedwig Strompf, née Daltrop, was deported from Theresienstadt to Auschwitz on October 9, 1944 and murdered).

The further fate of Dora Canepa, née Röhmann, and the other family members
By her last marriage, Dora Canepa, née Röhmann, had acquired Italian citizenship and had become a Catholic. She did not have to wear a "yellow star". Nevertheless, she fell into the clutches of the Gestapo and was deported to the Ravensbrück concentration camp a year later, on March 8, 1944. On an access list of that day with 33 other women, she is listed under prisoner number 30208. The other women were mostly foreign forced laborers; Dora Canepa was the only "Italian" and the only one to be marked "Jewish." The handwritten No. 28 in the accession list probably indicates the block to which she was taken in the concentration camp. According to the death certificate, issued by the registry office in Arolsen, Dora Canepa died in the Ravensbrück concentration camp on January 3, 1945. She was 57 years old. Her cause of death is not yet known. During this time the concentration camp was overcrowded with over 46000 female and over 7800 male prisoners. Between January and April 1945, about 5000 old, sick women who were not fit for work were taken to the cleared "Uckermark Youth Detention Camp"; many were poisoned there, shot or murdered in the gas chamber at Ravensbrück concentration camp.

After the war, it can be learned from the statements of Dora Canepa's and Martin Röhmann's niece Herta Kruse, the daughter of her sister Henny: "To my aunt Mrs. Dora Canepa I left the household [after the death of her sister Henny Kracht, Kiel, Schülperbaum 20, in 1933] in faithful hands until she was taken away by the Gestapo to a concentration camp in 1943, where she then unfortunately also perished." Although married to a non-Jew, Herta Kruse had also been severely exposed to persecution. In Schönkirchen, she had tried to go into hiding with her husband and children, but had not succeeded. She could not stay there, her son was expelled from school and the mayor of the village had a "Jewish star" with the inscription: "1st Jewish Asylum", attached to the garden fence of her home.

The first husband of Henny, née Röhmann, Adolf Feybusch, was married in his second marriage to the non-Jewish Alma, née Diller, in Kiel since 1920. As a Jewish merchant, he had been arrested after the Pogrom Night on November 9, 1938, and two days later was sent to Sachsenhausen concentration camp. He had to perform heavy labor there until December 15, 1938. He died on January 19, 1939 in Kiel as a result of his imprisonment. A Stolperstein commemorates him at Preetzer Straße 212 in Kiel.

Amalie Röhmann's grandson, Dr. Kurt Röhmann, had become a dentist and married Selma Lewy on August 16, 1931 in Nordenburg/Krylowa Kaliningrad. With his wife, mother and aunt he was able to escape to the Netherlands on October 16, 1933 and lived with them in Amsterdam, Roompotstraat 13. According to an obituary of his mother Cäcilie Röhmann, née Konski in the "Het Joodsche Weekblatt" of February 1, 1943, he died after a short illness on January 21, 1943 in Apeldoorn. That was the same day on which, according to another source, he was deported from Apeldoorn Bos to Auschwitz and murdered. His name is on a deportation list and there is an entry for him in the Auschwitz death register. His mother Cäcilie Röhmann was also deported to Auschwitz and murdered on February 26, 1943.

Martin Röhmann's adopted son Harald had become a commercial apprentice in Hamburg. After the war, he succumbed to a heart attack during an epileptic fit. He died at the age of 18, on May 2, 1946, in the former house of his late stepfather in Wellingsbütteler Landstraße.
Martin Röhmann's widow, Martha Röhmann, née Schulz, selected a family grave site in the Ohlsdorf cemetery, where he was then buried. Previously, on April 18, 1946, she had the remains of Martin Röhmann moved there from grave site Bi 68, No. 482, grave site U 33, No. 103 II.
Martha Röhmann, née Schulz, died at the age of 66 on September 24, 1962 in the Israelite Hospital, Orchideenstieg 14. She too was buried in this family grave. It is no longer preserved today.

In the USA, Martin's brother Dagobert Röhmann achieved great fame through his performances in various vaudeville shows, at "Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Baily Circus" and "Hubert's Museum". As "The Great Waldo", at times also under the name of "Dagmar Rothman", he became known for "swallowing" fish, eggs, watches, padlocks and ping-pong balls. His most spectacular act was his appearance in elegant suit and "swallowing" a white live mouse. Before bringing the mouse out again, he paused - smiling with a smoking cigarette in his mouth. He is reported to have once said that he never knew whether he would make it through a performance alive. He is said to have once said that he never knew whether he would make it through a performance alive. Film recordings of his performances exist.

As late as 1947, his daughter Edith, née Röhmann, married to Delfs since February 1934, had received a photo with a dedication from him in the USA - and a last letter in 1952. Dagobert Röhmann also took his own life. He was found dead in his apartment in Bradford, Pennsylvania, on August 21, 1952. It was reported in the "Bradford Newspapers" that he had left a suicide note saying that he had not gotten over a lost love - to a woman named "Aim Figura."

Martin and Anna Röhmann's eldest daughter Johanna remained in the USA and applied for naturalization on March 13, 1936. She took the oath as a citizen of the United States of America on March 3, 1941. It is not known whether she ever met her sister again.

Working in Hamburg as a dental assistant, Ella Röhmann had met the lawyer Ernst Moritz Less (born Aug. 1, 1905) from Lüneburg and became engaged in April 1938. The war initially separated their paths. (Presumably this is also the reason for the entry "single again" in the Jewish community's cultural tax file). An uncle of Ernst Less lived in San Francisco, so it had been possible for him to get a visa to America. He had been able to emigrate a few days before the pogrom night in 1938. After he had acquired U.S. citizenship, he succeeded in bringing his fiancée "Ellen" Röhmann to the United States with an application. She arrived there at the beginning of 1946, and they were married immediately on January 7, 1946, in Los Angeles. They settled in San Francisco, where her husband was initially employed as a department store worker. He was unable to resume his old work as a lawyer without renewing his education, which was too costly for him. Their only son, Edward, was born in June 1947. Ella was a homemaker; for a few years she provided "day care services" at home to earn some extra money. For one year she also worked as a "waitress". In the mid-1970s, she developed Alzheimer's disease and died in July 1985 at the age of nearly 80. Her husband succeeded her on Aug. 19, 2000, at age 95.

Edward Less, the grandson of Martin Röhmann and the only child of Ella and Ernst Less, told about the time after the emigration of his mother Ellen Röhmann, the youngest daughter of Anna and Martin Röhmann: After Ellen Röhmann had left Germany on a fishing boat on Christmas Eve 1938 and escaped to England, she had spent the war years there as a nanny and factory worker.

Unfortunately, the few photos Ellen Less, née Röhmann, possessed of her parents Anna and Martin Röhmann as well as of her grandmother Amalie, and which she had taken with her into exile, have been lost.

Stand: August 2023
© Margot Löhr

Quellen: 1; 2; 4; 5; 7; 8; StaH, 131-1 II Senatskanzlei, Korrespondenz ehem. Jüdische Mitbürger im Ausland 3527 Bd 280 Less Ellen; StaH, 314-15 Oberfinanzpräsident, Fvg 3019, R 1939/2468; StaH, 331-5 Polizeibehörde unnatürliche Todesfälle, 3 Akte 1942/1158, 3 Akte 1942/1448; StaH, 332-5 Standesämter, Geburtsregister, 6295 u. 2649/1896 Martha Schulz; 13678 u. 2239/1901 Knabe Schulz, 14501 u. 1698/1905 Ella Röhmann; StaH, 332-5 Standesämter, Heiratsregister, 3248 u. 927/1914 Dagobert Röhmann u. Hermine Tiemann, 9587 u. 21/1922 Martin Röhmann u. Martha Schulz, 3457 u. 129/1923 Karl Laudy u. Dora Röhmann, gesch. Fraenckle, 3465 u. 953/1923 Paul Deck u. Frieda Tiemann, 8808 u. 173/1926 Gustav Schulz u. Herma Grünwaldt, 3578 u. 851/1928 Ferdinando Domenico Canepa u. Dora Röhmann, gesch. Ludy, 14249 u. 84/1934 Edith Röhmann u. Rudolf Delfs; StaH, 332-5 Standesämter, Sterberegister, 623 u. 527/1909 Joseph Röhmann, 7136 u. 306/1932 James Röhmann, 7136 u. 307/1932 Anna Röhmann, 8180 u. 423/1942 Martin Röhmann, 9977 u. 1259/1946 Harald Röhmann, 10138 u. 2153/1962 Martha Röhmann, 10138 u. 2153/1962 Martha Röhmann; StaH, 332-7 Staatsangehörigkeitsaufsicht, B III, 1930 Nr. 800 Martin Röhmann; StaH, 332-8 Meldewesen, A 24, Bd 345 Nr. 23619/1926 Martin Röhmann, A 24, Bd. 360 Nr. 7984/1927 Martin Röhmann; StaH, 351-11 Amt für Wiedergutmachung, 611 Amalie Röhmann, 1444 Fritz Sally Less, 14277 Bertha Röhmann, 19162 Martha Röhmann, 27971 Hugo Kruse, 27961 Herta Kruse, 30418 Ellen Less, 3696 Lydia Wolff, Amalia Wolff, geb. Canepa; StaH, 352-5 Zivilstandsregister-Todesbescheinigungen, 1909 Sta 2a Nr. 527 Joseph Röhmann, 1932 Sta 21b Nr. 306 James Röhmann, 1932 Sta 21b Nr. 307 Anna Röhmann; StaH, 522-1 Jüdische Gemeinden, Ablieferung 1999/01, 182; StaH, 622-1/173 Plaut, D 38 Korrespondenzen Dora Canepa; StaH, 741-4 Fotoarchiv, K 2508, K 3865, K 6534, K 6811; Archiv Friedhof Ohlsdorf, Beerdigungsregister Feuerbestattungen Nr. 4497 u. 4498/1932 James u. Anna Röhmann, Nr. 4964/1942 Martin Röhmann, Grabbrief 163479/1946 Martha Röhmann; Berliner Adressbücher 1874–1912; Hamburger Adressbücher 1904–1943; Bauprüfakte Bauamt Hamburg-Nord, Wellingsbütteler Landstraße 165; Landesarchiv Berlin (LAB), P Rep 520, 25 Nr. 2216/1876 Martin Röhmann, 97 Nr. 3932/1887 Dora Röhmann, 417 Nr. 1011/1901 Martin Röhmann u. Anna Cossmann 419 Nr. 48/1902 Adof Feybusch u. Henny Röhmann; LAB, P Rep 551, 511 Nr. 482/1903 Johanna Röhmann; Standesamt Kiel, Heiratsregister, Nr. 267/1918 Joseph Heinrich Cossmann u. Henni Feybusch, Nr. 456/1925 Wilhelm Kracht u. Henny Cossmann, geb. Röhmann; Standesamt Kiel I Polizeipräsident, Sterberegister u. Todesanzeige Nr. 707/1933 Henny Kracht; Auskünfte Siegfried Butterweck, Sonderstandesamt Bad Arolsen, Sterbeurkunde Dora Canepa, im Jahr 2013 beurkundet: Beurkundungsnummer 276, Vorgangsnummer 216; Auskünfte Dr. Susanne Knoblich, Landesarchiv Berlin, Lidos Datenbank, F Rep. 120 Film-Nr. 251 (Bd. 1 Bl. 197 des Papierausdrucks) Trauung Martin Röhmann u. Anna Cossmann, Nr. 359/190 u. F Rep. 120 Film-Nr. 279 (Bd. 1 Bl. 212 des Papierausdrucks), Nr. 26/1902; Auskünfte Martin Kriwet, ITS Archives, Copyof, Copyof in conformity with the ITS Archives, Bad Arolsen, Zugangsliste des KZ Ravensbrück, Karteikarte der Reichsvereinigung der Juden in Deutschland; Auskünfte Monika Schnell, Mahn- und Gedenkstätte Ravensbrück; Auskünfte Viola Schulz, Landesarchiv Berlin, P Rep.551, 511, Nr. 482/1903; Auskünfte von Britta Thiel, Stadtarchiv Kiel, Heiratsregister, Standesamt Kiel, Nr. 267/1918, Nr. 456/1925, Sterbebuch Standesamt Kiel I, Nr. 707/1933, Sterbefallsammelakten; Auskünfte von Nicolai M. Zimmermann, BArch, R 1509, Reichssippenamt Ergänzungskarten Volkszählung, 17.5.1939, Dora Röhmann, Martin Röhmann; Linde Apel: Jüdische Frauen im Konzentrationslager Ravensbrück 1939–1945, Berlin 2003; Klaus Timm: Geschichten aus Klein Borstel, Bd. 1, Hamburg 2003; Klaus Timm: Geschichten aus Klein Borstel, Bd. 10, Hangö/Hamburg 2004. Herzlichen Dank an Edward Less!
Zur Nummerierung häufig genutzter Quellen siehe Link "Recherche und Quellen".

print preview  / top of page