Search for Names, Places and Biographies

Already layed Stumbling Stones

back to select list

Fanny Dinemann * 1932

Poststraße links neben Nr. 51 (Hamburg-Mitte, Neustadt)

JG. 1932
ERMORDET 22.10.1942

further stumbling stones in Poststraße links neben Nr. 51:
Arthur Dinemann, (C)Kornelia Dinemann

Arthur Dinemann, born 6/10/1893 in Hamburg, deported to Minsk on 11/8/1941
Kornelia Dinemann, née Weisz, born 4/18/1894 in Budapest, deported to Minsk on 11/8/1941
Fanny Dinemann, born 6/1/1932 in Hamburg, deported from Berlin to Riga on 10/19/1942, died there on 10/22/1942

Poststrasse 51 (Königstrasse 49)

The parents of Arther Dinemann married on September 17, 1892 in Hamburg; they both were living at Neuer Steinweg 74. His father Julius Marcus Dinemann was a commercial assistant and later set up his own textile business. He had been born in Hamburg on January 25, 1861 as the son of the Jewish couple Marcus Abraham Dinemann and Hitzel Henriette, née Cohn. Arthur’s mother Maria, née Pforr, a dressmaker, was born on June 14, 1864 in Preetz, Holstein. She was a Lutheran Protestant, daughter of Heinrich Pforr, a baker, and his wife Sophia, née Voss.

Arthur Dinemann was the first child of his parents, born on June 10, 1893. His sister Hermine, born June 22, 1896 and died at the age of only six weeks. Their brother Herbert, born on August 5, 1900, died on October 27, 1904, the same year the Dinemanns’ youngest son, Martin, had been born on April 20.

After the war, Martin Dinemann reported that his parents, soon after Arthur’s birth, had noticed that their son had been born deaf. When Arthur reached school age in 1900, he was enrolled at the "Deaf and Mute Institution” at Bürgerweide 21 in Hamburg-Borgfelde, founded in 1827. In 1906, his parents had Arthur baptized. After finishing school, he absolved an apprenticeship as a men’s and women’s tailor, living in the household of his master. After his apprenticeship, Arthur worked for a tailor in the Curslack quarter of Bergedorf (then not yet incorporated into Hamburg).

Arthur’s father had died on May 15, 1909 at the age of 48, when hen his son was still an apprentice. Julius Marcus Dinemann was buried at the Jewish Ilandkoppel cemetery in Ohlsdorf .

After her husband’s death, Maria Dinemann kept herself and her youngest so Martin afloat as a factory worker. Martin Dinemann recalls: "When the war broke out in 1914, my brother gave up his job and came back home. We lived at Peterstrasse 21 in the Neustadt district. A professional sewing machine was bought, and Arthur applied for an got a craft certificate. In the war years from 1914 to 1918, my brother made uniforms and all sorts of military clothing, my mother sewed shirts. Thus, my brother assumed the responsibility of our late father. I finished school in 1919, and with the help of my brother, absolved a commercial apprenticeship. […] Thus, we lived together until 1925.”

Maria Dinemann died on November 3, 1925 at the Friedrichsberg state hospital. Arthur and Martin then shared a sublet room in Pilatuspool, and, after marrying, founded their own households. When Arthur married on December 31, 1925, he was already living at Valentinskamp 74, where his bride Kornelia (Cornelia) Weisz, deaf-mute like Arthur, also lived with her parents.

Kornelia had been born in Budapest, Hungary, on April 18, 1894 of Jewish parents. Her father Emanuel Weisz, born November 5, 1864 in Hungary, a mechanic and master plumber by trade, had emigrated at the beginning of the 20th century. Emmanuel Weisz’ first entry in the Hamburg address book of 1903 lists him as a plumber at Bürgerweide 22, house 2. It is not documented whether his daughter attended the "Deaf Mute Institution” next door in Bürgerweide.

In 1906, the Weisz family lived at Lindenstrasse 71 in the St. Georg district, in 1914 at Kleiner Burstah 8. In 1915, Emanuel Weisz was listed as a mechanic and plumber at Poolstrasse 42, in 1918, he ran a lamp factory at Wexstrasse 8. When his daughter Kornelia married, her father owned a nickel-coating workshop and worked as a galvanizer, i.e. coating metals. He died on July 7, 1937. His wife Fanny Franziska, née Grün, born May 3, 1867 in Budapest, worked as a self-employed dressmaker. She died already on September 14, 1925 at the hospital of the "Diakonissenanstalt Jerusalem" at Moorkamp 2 in the Eimsbüttel district. Although this hospital of the Christian Jerusalem Community accepted patients of all faiths, the fact that Franziska Weisz was there might indicate that, at that time, the Weisz family already were members of the community in Schäferkampsallee, where there were regular church services for persons with impaired hearing, at the incentive of the associations Hepatha” and "Protective Association of the Hard of Hearing”, founded in 1912 in Hamburg. The Jerusalem Community itself was active at proselyting Jewish men and women to the Lutheran Christian faith.

Arthur and Kornelia Dinemann may have met at one of these associations. In spite of the fact that Arthur Dinemann had been baptized at the age of six which was noted on his culture tax card of the Jewish Community of Hamburg, he was paying culture taxes to the German-Israelitic Community in 1929.

Daughter Fanny, the only child of Arthur and Kornelia Dinemann, was born without hearing on June 1, 1932.

In 1933, the family moved from Valentinskamp to nearby St. Anscharplatz 3. The move to Königstrasse 49 (now part of Poststrasse) in the center of city followed in 1934; there, Arthur Dinemann set up his tailoring shop at the family home on the second floor. On April 3, 1935, Fanny was baptized at the Jerusalem Community in Schäferkampsallee. When she reached school age, she was not accepted at the state school for the hard of hearing in Bürgerweide because she was Jewish. To receive schooling, Fanny had to be sent to a boarding school in Berlin, probably the "Israelitic Institution for Deaf-Mutes” in Berlin-Weissensee, which in 1938 was forced to change its name to "Jewish School for the Deaf with Hostel.”

In the summer of 1940, Arthur Dinemann still worked as an independent tailor, when he was sentenced to a fine of 20 reichsmarks or two days in jail for not having applied for a "Jewish ID Card” and not having the forced middle name "Israel” entered at the appropriate Registrar’s Office.

The obligation to carry an ID card for Jews had been introduced on July 23, 1938. The card, stamped with a big "J”, had to be presented with every application to state authorities, respectively mentioned in letters. The forced names "Israel”, resp. "Sara” for women, were introduced in August 1939.
"I reacted to the complaint late, because I do not consider myself a Jew”, Arthur Dinemann stated when interrogated by the police on September 18, 1940, "I was only told by the nutrition agency that I have to have an ID card. My daughter, who lives in Berlin, already has a card.”

Arthur Dinemann managed to achieve a deferment of the execution order until October 23, 1940. It must be assumed that no member of the Dinemann family was still alive on that date.

On November 8, 1941, Kornelia and Arthur Dinemann were deported from the house of the Masonic Temples at Moorweide to the ghetto in Minsk, White Russia, where their trace is lost.
After all Jewish schools in Berlin had been closed in April 1942, their daughter Fanny lived at the Baruch-Auerbach orphanage Schönhauser Allee 162. On October 19, 1942, she was deported to the ghetto in Riga with the last remaining children and their attendants. The transport train reached the station of Skirotava approx. 8 km south-east of Riga three days later. It is probable that Fanny Dinemann, like most of the 264 men, women and children of that transport, were murdered in the forest of Bikernieki immediately after their arrival.

Arthur’s brother Martin Dinemann survived the Nazi regime, protected by his "privileged mixed marriage.”

Translated by Peter Hubschmid
Kindly supported by the Hermann Reemtsma Stiftung, Hamburg.

Stand: May 2020
© Susanne Rosendahl

Quellen: 1; 6; 9; StaH 351-11 AfW 28923 (Martin, Dinemann); StaH 213-11 Staatsanwaltschaft Landgericht 6354/43; StaH 332-5 Standesämter 2403 u 2193/1896; StaH 332-5 Standesämter 620 u 426/1909; StaH 332-5 Standesämter 8083 u 266/1925; StaH 332-5 Standesämter 3508 u 810/1925; StaH 332-5 Standesämter 7054 u 924/1925; StaH 332-5 Standesämter 1070 u 263/1937; StaH 522-1 Jüdische Gemeinde Nr. 992 e 2 Band 2; (Zugriff 12.8.2014); Jenner: 150 Jahre, S. 72, S. 96, S. 137–139; Iris Groschek, Die Hamburger Gehörlosenschule im "Dritten Reich", unter: (Zugriff 16.4.2016).
Zur Nummerierung häufig genutzter Quellen siehe Link "Recherche und Quellen".

print preview  / top of page