Search for Names, Places and Biographies
Already layed Stumbling Stones
Hermann Glass * 1863
Abteistraße 35 (Eimsbüttel, Harvestehude)
ermordet am 19.1.1943
Hermann Glass, born on 10 Nov. 1863 in Silesian Stanowitz/ Standorf (today Stanowice in Poland), deported on 19 July 1942 to Theresienstadt, died on 19 Jan. 1943 in Theresienstadt
Abteistrasse 35 (Harvestehude)
Hermann Glass has been commemorated by a Stolperstein in front of his residential building at Abteistrasse 35 (Harvestehude). He bought the house, built in 1876, in 1931, and lived in it with his family from 1933 to 1937. A Stolperstein has been scheduled to be placed for him in front of his business building in Hamburg’s city center (probably in 2020).
Hermann Glass – his name was still spelled with one "s” – had been born on 10 Nov. 1863 in Standorf/ Schweidnitz, District in Silesia (the place name was changed from Stanowitz to Standorf in Feb. 1937). He had attended a Lateinschule (i.e., a school that prepared for later university study) for ten years, then completed a commercial apprenticeship, and completed his military service as an infantryman with the 2nd Silesian Light Infantry Battalion No. 6, presumably in Oels/ Lower Silesia (today Olesnica in Poland).
In Jan. 1890, Hermann Glass moved to Hamburg, where he registered a business in Feb. 1892 and opened a store for women’s clothing at Stadthausbrücke 5/9 (Hamburg-Neustadt) in 1899. In 1910/1911, he had a commercial building erected at the newly laid-out Mönckebergstrasse 25, intersection to Bergmannstrasse 7 (opposite St. Peter’s Church), based on a design by the architect Fritz Höger. The building was named "Haus Glass” after the builder and owner. The building’s use of forms (bay window, gable of a town house) and choice of materials (brick) made references to historical Hanseatic models. The "Modehaus Hermann Glass,” a fashion company, moved into the ground floor, but it went bankrupt in 1913. From then on, Hermann Glass operated as a real estate agent for houses, with office space in his Mönckebergstrasse business building, employing one or two office staff, an accountant, and an apprentice.
In Aug. 1903, he had married Martha, née Stern (born on 31 Jan. 1878 in Mönchengladbach; father: merchant Michael Stern; mother: Thekla, née Ransohoff, residing at Albertusstrasse 23), who like him was Jewish. After completing her secondary education at the Städtisches Lyzeum (girls’ secondary school) in Mönchengladbach, the bride had trained as a singer and pianist in Düsseldorf. In Aug. 1904, he acquired Hamburg citizenship and gave up his Prussian citizenship. He had his last name of Glas changed to Glass in the spring of 1904. At that time, his taxable annual income amounted to 20,000 marks.
Hermann and Martha Glass had two daughters: Edith (born on 11 Sept. 1904 in Hamburg) and Ingeborg "Inge” (born on 3 Jan. 1912 in Hamburg). The family lived at Hansastrasse 74 on the fourth floor/ Harvestehude (1904–1913), Isestrasse 6/ Harvestehude (1914–1917), Beim Andreasbrunnen 5 on the third floor/ Eppendorf (1918–1932), and in a two-and-a-half-bedroom apartment in the two-family house at Abteistrasse 35/ Harvestehude (1933–1942).
Martha Glass worked for a time at the Steinway Musikhaus at Jungfernstieg 34 (Heine House) as a pianist to play the grand pianos for prospective buyers. She was a member of the Singakademie, a music and arts association that performed as the choir of the Philharmonic Orchestra in Hamburg at the Konzerthaus as well as Michaelis Church. Martha and Hermann Glass had a subscription for two box seats in the Hamburg City Theater (with the opera, operetta, drama, and ballet sections). Martha Glass regularly went on spa stays in Karlsbad (Karlovy Vary) in Czechoslovakia (last in 1938).
Since at least 1913, Hermann Glass was a member of the German-Israelitic Community in Hamburg and the liberal Israelite Temple Association (Tempelverband – T.V.). Martha and her two daughters sang in the mixed choir of the Temple Association, which had its temple at Poolstrasse 11/14 (Hamburg-Neustadt) and in 1931 inaugurated a new temple at Oberstrasse 116/120 (Harvestehude). The temple choir was directed by the senior cantor Leo Kornitzer (1875–1947), hired in 1913, and performed regularly during services (in the gallery next to the organ) and on special occasions. These included, for example, the opening ceremony of the "Religious School of the Jewish School Association in Hamburg” ("Religionsschule des Jüdischen Schulvereins in Hamburg”) on 6 Jan. 1919, the memorial service for Jewish soldiers killed in the World War on 13 Sept. 1925, and the inauguration of the liberal rabbi Bruno Italiener on 8 Jan. 1928.
In addition, Hermann Glass was a member of the Hamburg "Association of the Honorable Merchant,” as well as the "Association of German Hunters Hamburg Branch” (at Böckmannstrasse 1a).
As mentioned earlier, Hermann Glass had acquired Hamburg citizenship in 1904. This also included the right to vote. In elections, Hermann Glass opted for the German Social Democratic Party (SPD), while his wife had voted for the left-liberal German Democratic Party (DDP) since 1919 (once women were allowed to vote in Germany) – both parties had joined forces with the Catholic Center Party at the Reich level to form the "Weimar Coalition” from 1919 to 1923.
After the Nazi party (NSDAP) was able to form a minority Hitler/von Papen/Hugenberg government together with the right-wing conservative German National People’ Party (DNVP) in Jan. 1933 with the acquiescence of Reich President Hindenburg, systematic terror began in Germany. The Reichstag election of Mar. 1933 witnessed a combined 53% majority for the NSDAP and the DNVP, and this paved the way to dictatorship. Immediately after the Nazi takeover, the first ordinances and laws were issued against the political opposition, but also against Jews.
In 1933, Hermann Glass was expelled from the Reich Association of German Brokers (Reichsbund deutscher Makler), which indirectly amounted to a professional ban. His license as a mortgage broker was revoked by the "Law Amending the Trade Regulations for the German Reich” dated 6 July 1938 ("Jews and Jewish enterprises constituting a legal entity are prohibited from operating the following trades: ... c) trading in real estate, d) the transactions of commercial intermediary agents for real estate contracts and loans, as well as the trade of house and property management...”).
Like Mr. and Mrs. Glass, a majority of his circle of friends was also affected by the persecution measures, including the designer and, since 1907, professor at the arts college (Kunstgewerbeschule) in Hamburg, Friedrich Adler (1878–1942?) and his family. They also maintained friendly contact with the owners of the renowned Hamburg fashion houses Robinsohn and Hirschfeld (for Benno Hirschfeld, see www.stolpersteine-hamburg.de), as well as with Max Samson and his wife Rose and with the merchant Arthur Martienssen (1867–1942) and his wife Hedwig Martienssen, née Treumann (1879–1944). The circle of friends also included Felix Wolff (1874–1944), the Hamburg general representative of the Berlin Ullstein publishing house (Speersort 6) and in 1934, a member of the board of the Jewish Cultural Association (Kulturbund) in Hamburg, as well as Moritz (Moses) Karlsberg (1865–1943) (see www.stolpersteine-hamburg.de), general representative of the British Cunard Line in Germany and a member of the representative college of the "Neue Dammtor Synagoge” (NDS). The Glass family’s family doctor was Berthold Hannes (1882–1955), who was protected by his mixed marriage.
Daughter Ingeborg Glass had graduated from the Helene-Lange-Oberrealschule [a secondary school without Latin] and studied at the universities in Hamburg, Berlin, and Munich. She had to abandon her studies in Romance languages, theater, and newspaper studies because of her Jewish origins. In 1935, her parents sent her to Paris for six months to study. Afterward, she worked in Hamburg as a clerk and finally at the Hamburg Jewish Cultural Association, whose events Hermann and Martha Glass also attended. In Dec. 1937, she married Edgar Tuteur (born on 9 Apr. 1905 in Hamburg) and moved to Naples with him in Jan. 1938.
Hermann and Martha Glass, with official permission, bought their daughter a complete set of furnishings for her three-bedroom apartment in Naples, including a piano, pictures, a Siemens water heater, electric refrigerator, and household goods. A shipping company transported the items from Hamburg to Naples.
Under pressure from the German authorities (who received instructions to this effect from the Gestapo), Edgar Tuteur was dismissed from the Italian "Sorveglianza” S.A.I. goods control company at the end of 1939/beginning of 1940. In Aug. 1940, the German Consul General in Naples, Siegfried Mey (1891–1954), who had joined the NSDAP on 1 Aug. 1939, filed an extradition request for him. Ingeborg Tuteur, who together with an Austrian friend nevertheless asked Consul General Mey (active in Naples from 22 Feb. 1938 to 23 May 1943) for help, was turned down by Mey with the words, "I am forbidden by German law to undertake official acts in the interest of German Jews.”
Ingeborg Tuteur succeeded in preventing the deportation by contacting official bodies in Naples and Rome as well as friends and lawyers and even the camp director of the Teramo internment camp (Isola del Gran Sasso), where Edgar Tuteur had been held since July 1940. However, as a result, she herself became the focus of the Naples Questura [provincial police headquarters], which issued a warrant for her arrest and incarceration. Together with her husband, she was able to go into hiding and, with the help of a German Catholic order in the Vatican, to flee via Barcelona to Lisbon. In June 1941, they both emigrated from Lisbon to New York aboard the Portuguese steamer "Nyassa.”
Daughter Edith Glass had attended the Staatliches Lyzeum (a public girls’ secondary school) on Hansastrasse in Hamburg and subsequently received commercial training. In 1925, she married the merchant Rudolph Moritz Eichholz (1897–1929) and moved with her husband into the newly built house at Enzianstrasse 16 (Alsterdorf), which Hermann Glass had bought for them in 1927. After the early death of her husband, she married Reinhard Benecke in her second marriage in 1935, living with him in Berlin-Charlottenburg at Kastanienallee 34. Reinhard Benecke also assumed the role of authorized representative and asset manager for Hermann Glass.
According to a decree issued by the Reich Security Main Office (RSHA) in Berlin on 8 Dec. 1938, the SS Security Service (SD) drew up a "list of influential and wealthy Jews” whose activities the SD wanted to keep under special surveillance; in the partial list of the SD Upper Section Northeast dated 12 Dec. 1938, "Glass, Hermann, born on 8 Nov. 63 in Stanwitz, residing at Abteistrasse 35, merchant, very wealthy, worth over RM 500,000” was listed under item 17. In Feb. 1939, all of Hermann Glass’s real estate was placed under forced administration due to an order of the Hamburg Nazi Reich Governor (Reichsstatthalter) Karl Kaufmann, and the accounts and securities deposit were blocked by means of a "security order” ("Sicherungsanordnung”) issued by the foreign currency office of the Hamburg Chief Finance Administrator (Oberfinanzpräsident) – dispositions were only possible with official approval. In Mar. 1939, Hermann Glass’s house brokerage firm was deleted from the company register; he had to give up his office in June 1941.
In Aug. 1939, Hermann Glass was forced to sell a property in a prominent location (Mönckebergstrasse 25/ Bergstrasse 7) to the merchant Max Adolf Bischoff (Hamburg-Harburg, Eissendorfer Pferdeweg 17), owner of "Johannes Bischoff Harburger Kraftfutterfabrik und Mahlwerke GmbH,” an animal feed and mill company, for a fraction of the market value. Lawyer and notary Ernst Nesemann (born in 1900, member of the NSDAP and the SS since 1933) notarized the purchase contract for a purchase price of 635,000 RM (reichsmark) in his office in Hamburg-Harburg on 22 Aug. 1939; for the Grundstücksverwaltungs-Gesellschaft von 1938 mbH, a property management company that had been entrusted by order with the administration, the authorized signatory Adolf Reiff (born in 1884, already a member of the NSDAP since 1931) was present "as sub-trustee and authorized representative” and he also signed the contract. Property purchase contracts had to be submitted to the Gau Economic Advisor for appraisal and price determination, and the NSDAP Gauleiter was the highest approval authority. The buyer was expected to make a donation, over which the Gauleiter had exclusive power of disposal. At the time of the sale, three retail stores were rented out (to Lichthaus Mösch & Co., the jeweler Gustav Benecke, and to a branch of Franz Kosmale’s fountain pen business) as well as seven offices, which together yielded monthly rental income of 6,000 RM. "The Reichsstatthalter in Hamburg” (at Stadthausbrücke 22) approved the purchase contract on 10 Oct. 1939 on condition "that the part of the purchase price to be paid in cash (...) be deposited in an account which can only be disposed of with the approval of the responsible Oberfinanzpräsident (foreign currency office)” – this concerned some 520,000 RM. The name of the building ("Haus Glass”) was now no longer indicated in the Hamburg directories and it was later (after 1943) replaced by "Haus Prediger.” Carl Prediger’s store for "lighting fixtures” had been located with its sales department on the ground floor since 1939. In June 1941, Hermann Glass also had to give up the offices he had rented there since the sale of the house.
In Aug. 1941, Hermann Glass also sold his 50-percent share in the houses at Steindamm 54/56 and at Kleiner Pulverteich 22 (built and acquired in 1901) to a master butcher who had owned his own business in Hamburg since 1927. However, Hermann Glass’ real estate holdings (six properties worth around 220,000 RM) were already completely administered by the Hamburg Grundstücksverwaltungs-Gesellschaft von 1938 (at Börsenbrücke 8), which as "trustee” had to decide whether the property should be sold at all.
Hermann Glass had to provide a detailed account of other assets, including 112,000 RM in bank deposits and 252,000 RM in securities. The securities account had already been garnished toward the Reich flight tax (Reichsfluchtsteuer) payable in the event of departure, and the checking account was also blocked. As a result, Hermann Glass was unable to pay his contribution to the Jewish Community for 1941, which had been increased to 8,400 RM. Lengthy negotiations with the Community and extensive correspondence with its employee Ida Hagenow (1880–1944) from the dues department (office at Beneckestrasse 2) finally led to an agreement with the person responsible for the finances of the Jewish Community, Leo Lippmann (1881–1943) (see www.stolpersteine-hamburg.de) to the effect that only 4,000 RM were to be paid for 1941; he was exempted from donations for the "Jewish Winter Relief 1940/41” and the funds raising called "Jewish Duty” ("Jüdische Pflicht”). He borrowed the money payable from his son-in-law in Berlin, whose accounts were not blocked because he was not Jewish.
In Oct. 1940, Hermann and Martha Glass paid the funeral expenses for Ernst Simon Stern (born on 1 June 1870 in Mönchengladbach), one of Martha Glass’ two brothers, who was buried in the Jewish Cemetery in Hamburg-Ohlsdorf. Ernst Stern had lived as the main tenant at Ostmarkstrasse 6 (Hallerstrasse until Oct. 1938) from 1939/1940 and in the end, he was supported by his brother-in-law and sister with 55 RM per month, "since he was without any income and completely without assets,” as Hermann Glass wrote to the foreign currency office of the Chief Finance Administrator in Oct. 1940.
The marginalization and economic destruction of Hermann Glass, a house broker, also had consequences for his health. His family doctor Berthold Hannes diagnosed him with enteritis in Dec. 1939, which was noted in the file of the Chief Finance Administrator. In Sept. 1941, he spent two weeks in the convalescent home of the Jewish Community in Hamburg-Blankenese (at Steubenstrasse 36).
From about the beginning of 1940, Hermann Glass made efforts to emigrate from Germany. In a letter to his daughter Inge dated 13 May 1941, he noted this in a cloaked manner, without going into detail about the country, the visas, or the planned departure. Since the foreign currency office, which was primarily responsible for emigration, does not have a file on this either, it is likely that these were initial considerations that could no longer be put in concrete terms or realized. In Oct. 1941, emigration of Jews was generally prohibited in the Nazi state and deportations to the conquered countries of Eastern Europe began.
The "Law on Tenancies with Jews” ("Gesetz über die Mietverhältnisse mit Juden”) dated 30 Apr. 1939 deprived them of their rights as tenants and homeowners. The housing office and the Gestapo ordered the Jewish Community, which by then had to call itself the Jewish Religious Organization (Jüdischer Religionsverband), to implement the required forced quartering and evictions. At the end of Oct. 1941, the sisters Marianne Cahn (born on 11 Sept. 1924) and Edith Cahn (born on 31 Dec. 1922 in Ottweiler) (see www.stolpersteine-hamburg.de) were quartered in the house at Abteistrasse 35 with the Glass couple. The widowed Minna Aron, née Levy (born on 3 Sept. 1879 in Altona) (see www.stolpersteine-hamburg.de) was also assigned this house as accommodation.
A decree issued by the Hamburg NSDAP Gauleiter and Reich Governor Karl Kaufmann dated 16 July 1942 also transferred ownership of the remaining five properties still owned by Mr. and Mrs. Glass to the Nazi state. These were the houses at Abteistrasse 35/Harvestehude; Enzianstrasse 16/Alsterdorf (built in 1926, acquired in 1927); Görnestrasse 11/Eppendorf (built in 1860, acquired in 1922); Grosse Theaterstrasse 10/12/Neustadt (built in 1860, acquired in 1927); and Grosse Theaterstrasse 41/Neustadt (built in 1860, acquired in 1901). Bank deposits and securities were also confiscated by the asset management office of the Chief Finance Administrator to the benefit of the German Reich.
The 89-year-old Hermann Glass was deported to the Theresienstadt Ghetto on 19 July 1942, together with his wife Martha Glass. In the camp system of Nazism, the Theresienstadt Ghetto served only a stopover on the way to the extermination camps. Hermann and Martha Glass were spared this: In Theresienstadt, Martha Glass was quartered in a room on Kurze Strasse (L1A), House 4, together with nine other women, three of them from Hamburg (Mrs. Heß, Wilhelmine Friedheim, née Jacobson, born on 22 Jan. 1872 in Altona, and her daughter Herta Friedheim born on 17 June 1894 in Hamburg).
Hermann Glass was housed in building complex L 104 (= Seestrasse Haus 04), room 15, also in a room overcrowded with about ten men, including Messrs. Hoch, Pollack, and Seligmann.
Hermann Glass died there on 19 Jan. 1943. Martha Glass noted in her ghetto diary, "On January 19, Hermann passed away, of severe diarrhea and cardiac insufficiency due to hunger, from which we all suffer terribly. Life in Theresienstadt goes on and one does not become fully conscious of the heavy loss because of all the work and service to the community.”
The official cause of death on the "Theresienstadt Ghetto Death Notice” was "enteritis and old age.” The overcrowding of the ghetto combined with the disastrous sanitary situation and the massive shortage of food resulted in a large number of deaths.
Martha Glass (1878–1959) survived the Holocaust and emigrated to the USA in 1947 to join her daughter and son-in-law; she also took her diary from the Theresienstadt Ghetto there, which has since been published. Due to her two and a half years in the ghetto, she was permanently dependent on the care of a nurse in the USA.
Translator: Erwin Fink
Kindly supported by the Hermann Reemtsma Stiftung, Hamburg.
Stand: May 2021
© Björn Eggert
Quellen: Staatsarchiv Hamburg (StaH) 213-13 (Landgericht Hamburg, Wiedergutmachung), 3050 (Hermann Glass); StaH 213-13 (Landgericht Hamburg, Wiedergutmachung), 3051 (Martha Glass, Wertpapiere); StaH 213-13 (Landgericht Hamburg, Wiedergutmachung), 3052 (Martha Glass, Grundstück); StaH 213-13 (Landgericht Hamburg, Wiedergutmachung), 3053 (Martha Glass, Schmuck/ Silbersachen); StaH 221-11 (Staatskommissar für die Entnazifizierung), 29465 (Dr. Ernst Nesemann); StaH 221-11 (Staatskommissar für die Entnazifizierung), 68814 (Adolf Reiff); StaH 231-7 (Handelsregister), A 1 Band 80 (A 19630, Hermann Glass); StaH 314-15 (Oberfinanzpräsident), R 1938/3149 (Sicherungsanordnung gegen Hermann Glass); StaH 332-5 (Standesämter), 9131 u. 908/1897 (Geburtsregister 1897, Rudolph Moritz Eichholz, Eltern: Kaufmann Alfred Eichholz u. Adele Eichholz geb. Delbanco); StaH 332-5 (Standesämter), 9843 u. 2486/1929 (Sterberegister 1929, Rudolph Eichholz); StaH 332-5 (Standesämter), 8168 u. 466/1940 (Sterberegister 1940, Ernst Stern); StaH 332-7 (Staatsangehörigkeitsaufsicht), A III 21 Band 10 (Aufnahme-Register 1897-1905 G-K), Hermann Glass (geb. 10.11.1863 Stanowitz, Aufnahme 20.8.1904 Nr. 77374); StaH 332-7 (Staatsangehörigkeitsaufsicht), B III 77374 (Hermann Glass, mit Abschrift Geburtsurkunden 1863 und 1878 sowie preußischen Staatsangehörigkeitsausweis); StaH 351-11 (Amt für Wiedergutmachung), 3922 (Hermann u. Martha Glass); StaH 351-11 (Amt für Wiedergutmachung), 29902 (Edgar Tuteur); StaH 351-11 (Amt für Wiedergutmachung), 1131 (Arthur Martienssen); StaH 522-1 (Jüdische Gemeinden), 992b (Kultussteuerkartei der Deutsch-Israelitischen Gemeinde Hamburg) Hermann Glass (geb. 8.11.1863 in Stanowitz), Ingeborg Glass; StaH 621-1/84, 20 (Rechtsanwalt Dr. Ernst Kaufmann, Vermögensverwaltung Hermann Glass 1938-42); Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten (LABO) Berlin, Akte 58.057 (Martha Glass); Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten (LABO) Berlin, Akte 58.058 (Hermann Glass); Jüdischer Friedhof Hamburg-Ohlsdorf, Gräberverzeichnis im Internet (Ernst Simon Stern, Grablage P1-231); Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Universitätsarchiv, Verzeichnis der Studierenden (Ingeborg Glass Wintersemester 1931/32, wohnhaft Alexanderstr. 1/4; Sommersemester 1932, wohnhaft Glückstr. 10/2), Karteikarte der Studentenkartei (Ingeborg Glass, mit Passbild); Sonderarchiv Moskau, Signatur 500-1-659, SD-Oberabschnitt Nordwest, Liste einflussreicher und vermögender Juden, 12.12.1938, Blatt 56–58 (Nr. 17 Hermann Glass); Nationalarchiv Prag, Todesfallanzeige Ghetto Theresienstadt (Hermann Glass); Staatsarchiv Hamburg, Hamburger jüdische Opfer des Nationalsozialismus – Gedenkbuch, Hamburg 1995 (Friedrich Adler, Hermann Glass, Moses Karlsberg, Arthur Martienssen, Hedwig Martienssen, Felix Wolff); Handelskammer Hamburg, Handelsregisterinformationen (Hermann Glass, HR A 19630); Hamburger Börsenfirmen, Hamburg 1910, S. 334 (B. Karlsberg, gegr. 1868, Inhaber Moritz Karlsberg, Reisebureau, Bank und Geldwechsel, Gen.Ag. der Cunard Linie, Spedition, Ferdinandstr. 57); Hamburger Börsenfirmen, Hamburg 1926, S. 327 (Herrmann Glass, Haus- u. Gütermakler, in amtl. Firmenregister 1917 eingetragen, Bergstr. 7, Börse Bank 9); Hamburger Börsenfirmen, Hamburg 1935, S. 266 (Herrmann Glass, Haus- u. Gütermakler, Bergstr. 7, Börse Bank 9); Auswärtiges Amt (Hrsg.), Biographisches Handbuch des deutschen Auswärtigen Dienstes 1871-1945, Paderborn 2008, Band 3 (Siegfried Mey); Frank Bajohr, "Arisierung" in Hamburg. Die Verdrängung der jüdischen Unternehmer 1933-1945, Hamburg 1998, S. 290-293 (Hamburgische Grundstücksverwaltungsgesellschaft von 1938 mbH); Martha Glass, "Jeder Tag in Theresin ist ein Geschenk". Die Theresienstädter Tagebücher einer Hamburger Jüdin 1943–1945, Hamburg 1996, S. 9, 11, 14, 16, 18, 19, 24, 63, 84, 92; Franklin Kopitzsch/ Daniel Tilgner (Hrsg.), Hamburg Lexikon, Hamburg 2010, S. 538/539 (Philharmonische Gesellschaft); Institut für die Geschichte der deutschen Juden (Hrsg.), Das Jüdische Hamburg, Göttingen 2006, S. 165/166 (Leon Kornitzer); Ina Lorenz, Die Juden in Hamburg zur Zeit der Weimarer Republik, 2 Bände, Hamburg 1987, S. 841 (Frauenwahlrecht), S. 663, 670, 690, 735, 1149 (Tempelchor), S. 729 (Moritz Karlsberg); Claudia Turtenwald (Hrsg.), Fritz Höger (1877-1949). Moderne Monumente, München/ Hamburg 2003, S. 138 (Werkverzeichnis Nr. 41, Bauherr Glass); Adressbuch Hamburg (Hermann Glass) 1900, 1904, 1908, 1912-1914, 1916-1918, 1923, 1928, 1932-1934, 1936, 1938, 1941; Adressbuch Hamburg (E. Stern, Ostmarkstrasse 6) 1940; Adressbuch Hamburg (Mönckebergstraße 25) 1938, 1939 (Mösch & Co, Gustav Benecke, Franz Kosmale); Telefonbuch Hamburg (Carl Prediger) 1939; Einwohnerbuch für Harburg-Wilhelmsburg 1937 (Max-Adolf Bischoff); www.ancestry.de (Heiratsregister Mönchengladbach 295/1903, Hermann Glass geb. 10.11.1863 u. Martha Stern geb. 31.1.1878); www.ancestry.de (Edgar Tuteur: US-Einbürgerung 13.6.1941); www.ancestry.de (Ingeborg Tuteur: US-Einbürgerung 13.6.1941); www.stolpersteine-hamburg.de (Friedrich Adler, Minna Aron, Auguste Bendheim, Edith Cahn, Alfred Friedensohn, Benno Hirschfeld, Moses Karlsberg, Rudolf Samson); http://www.harbuch.de/frische-themen-artikel/auf-dem-olymp-der-reichen-und-maechtigen.html (Max Adolf Bischoff, Eissendorfer Pferdeweg); http://genwiki.genealogy.net/Standorf_(Kreis_Schweidnitz), eingesehen 17.12.2019.