Search for Names, Places and Biographies

Already layed Stumbling Stones

Eugenie Hanna Zimmermann (née Isaacs) * 1873

Kurzer Kamp 6 Altenheim (Hamburg-Nord, Fuhlsbüttel)

1942 Theresienstadt
tot 16.4.1945

further stumbling stones in Kurzer Kamp 6 Altenheim:
Dr. Julius Adam, Johanna Hinda Appel, Sara Bromberger, Therese Bromberger, Friederike Davidsohn, Margarethe Davidsohn, Gertrud Embden, Katharina Embden, Katharina Falk, Auguste Friedburg, Jenny Friedemann, Mary Halberstadt, Käthe Heckscher, Emily Heckscher, Betty Hirsch, Hanna Hirsch, Regina Hirschfeld, Clara Horneburg, Anita Horneburg, Emma Israel, Jenny Koopmann, Franziska Koopmann, Martha Kurzynski, Laura Levy, Chaile Charlotte Lippstadt, Isidor Mendelsohn, Balbine Meyer, Helene Adele Meyer, Ida Meyer, Ella Rosa Nauen, Celine Reincke, Friederike Rothenburg, Benny Salomon, Elsa Salomon, Martha Rosa Schlesinger, Louis Stiefel, Sophie Stiefel, Louise Strelitz

Eugenia Zimmermann, née Isaacs, born 27.10.1873 in Hamburg, deported to Theresienstadt on 19.7.1942, died there on 16.4.1945

Kurzer Kamp 6, Old People's Home (Hamburg-North, Fuhlsbüttel), designated 1939 a "Judenstift"

Sophie Peter, née Isaacs, born 4.7.1869 in Hamburg, deported 19.1.1944 to Theresienstadt, deceased 19.5.1944

Uhlenhorster Weg 2 (Hamburg-Uhlenhorst)

As the seventh child of Bertha Rebecca, née Hauer, and Edwin Isaacs, Hannah Eugenia Isaacs was born on October 27, 1873 in her parents' house at Alster 8a. The villa stood on a plot of land that had been cleared for development in the course of the development of the street An der Außenalster in 1860. A windmill, the Lohmühle, had once been located there. Behind it was the garden of the St. Georg General Hospital.

The roots of Eugenia's father Edwin Isaacs (born 1830 in London) lie in England, his father Zadock Isaacs had died there. Edwin Isaacs had become a merchant. After a successful business period in Port au Prince in Haiti, he had settled in Hamburg. At the age of 24, he had received Hamburg citizenship on September 8, 1854. Twelve days later, on September 20, 1854, he had married the 17-year-old Rosa Hauer (born May 11, 1837 in Hamburg). Tragically, she had died at the young age of 20 on June 21, 1857 (in the death register probably incorrectly 1854) in Port au Prince. She found her final resting place five months later, on November 2, 1857, at the Jewish Grindelfriedhof in Hamburg.

Due to his active trade connections to South America, Eugenia's father had been appointed Consul of the Republic of Argentina in Hamburg, and later Consul General of the South American states of Bolivia, El Salvador, Colombia, Paraguay and Peru. On May 17, 1863, he had been able to set up a trading business as sole proprietor at Pferdemarkt 56, with a stock exchange stand in front of pillar 3.

In the following year, the 34-year-old Edwin Isaacs had entered into a second marriage - according to Jewish custom with the sister of his deceased wife. On May 1, 1864 he had married the 17-year-old Bertha Hauer (born January 27, 1847) in Hamburg. Eugenia's parents were members of the German-Israelite community of Hamburg. Her maternal grandfather, Wolff Sander Hauer, came from Gehaus, was an established merchant in Hamburg and had business connections with Eugenia's father; her grandmother Sophie Victor came from Braunschweig. At Pferdemarkt 56, where her father's Argentine consulate was located on the 2nd floor, the joint company "Isaacs E. und Hauer & Co" was located on the ground floor. The owner of this as well as the neighbouring house No. 56a was Martin Hauer, the eldest brother of Eugenia's mother.

Eugenia, called Eugenie, grew up in her birthplace in St. Georg with six siblings - with her sister Rosa Sophie (born Sept. 1, 1864), nine years older, named after her mother's deceased sister, with Julia Elise (born April 10, 1867) and Sophie Seraphine (born July 4, 1869), who were all born at Holzdamm 32, with Clarita Adele (born Oct. 17, 1870), Reinhard Emile (born Sept. 5, 1876) and Nelly Angelina (born Oct. 23, 1878), who, like Eugenia, were born at the villa An der Alster 8a (renamed No. 16 from 1883). Her brother Wolfgang, the twin brother of her sister Sophie Seraphine, had already died at the age of five months on December 16, 1869.Her sister Estella Francisca (born Nov 11, 1865) died on November 17, 1874 at the age of nine, a few weeks after Eugenia's first birthday. She was buried in the Jewish Grindelfriedhof.

Her paternal grandmother, Hanna Isaacs, née Simmonds, lived as a widow in Hamburg, in Eugenia's parental home An der Alster. She died there at the age of 77 on October 19, 1883, shortly before Eugenia's tenth birthday. She found her final resting place in the Jewish cemetery Ilandkoppel Ohlsdorf, newly opened on 30 September 1883, grave location A 11, No. 317.

Eugenia was 18 years old when her sister Julia Elise, aged 25, married the merchant Leopold Singer in April 1892. He came from Breslau, was non-denominational and lived in Hamburg on Holzdamm. His mother Rosalie, née Bie, had already died; his father, the 72-year-old Samuel Singer, had travelled to the wedding. The fathers of the bride and groom acted as witnesses.

Eugenia's sister Sophie lived with her parents, as was the general custom, until she married the merchant Wilhelm Peter (born Febr. 7, 1868) at the age of 27 on March 21, 1896. He came from Hamburg, belonged to the Reformed Church and was the son of Marie Dorothea, née Lange, and the porter Wilhelm Johannes Peter. In the same year, on October 18, 1896, their son Edwin, Eugenia's first nephew, was born in Hamburg.

Three and a half weeks later, on November 11, 1896, Eugenia's father, the consul general and merchant Edwin Isaacs, died at the age of 66. He found his final resting place in the family grave at the Jewish Grindelfriedhof next to his first wife and their deceased daughter Estella. The mother now bore sole responsibility for the "E. Isaacs" company. After a month, Eugenia travelled to Montreux for almost five months, presumably as a partner, as indicated as her job title in the registration card.

It can be assumed that Eugenia and her sisters had received a good education appropriate to their parents' position at a private secondary school for girls and that Eugenia had mastered the French language. Back in Hamburg, she then lived with her mother and sisters Clarita Adele and Nelly Angelina for five months.

Her sister Sophie Peter resigned from the German-Israelite community on June 3, 1897. On August 23, 1897, her sister Elise Singer gave birth to her first child, Leonhard Franz.

According to the entry in the Hamburg register of residents, Eugenia moved to Berlin and lived for the next year and a half at Augsburgerstraße 13, 1st floor, near Würzburg (listed in the 1897/98 Berlin address book with other houses as a building site). Presumably she worked there as a "Kinderfräulein" (nanny), which is the job title given for her. Her brother Reinhard Emile studied dentistry in Berlin. In April 1898 he then went to Würzburg for a while.

In May 1899 Eugenia returned to Hamburg and lived with Lemos at Moorweidenstraße 9 for the next four months.

During this time, on August 8, 1899, her youngest sister Nelly Angelina married the banker Siegmund Rosenkranz (born July 8, 1871 in Goslar, Harz) at the age of 20. He was the son of Bertha, née Frank, and the merchant Nathan Rosenkranz and lived at Johnsallee 63. The witnesses to the marriage were the beer publisher Heinrich Abeles, 39, from Hamburg, Hansastraße 21, owner of the neighbouring house at Alster No. 15, and the merchant Solm Salomon, 30, also from Hamburg, at Hütten 112.

Eugenia's sister Elise Singer lived at Schlump 86 and gave birth to her second child, Lotte Alice, in the same year, on October 8, 1899.

From September to October 1899, Eugenia moved in with her sister Sophie at Jungmannstraße 25, 2nd floor, Barmbek. In the meantime, the family no longer owned the family home on the Alster. Eugenia certainly supported her pregnant sister in bringing up their little three-year-old son Edwin. On February 24, 1900, Sophie Peter gave birth to her second son Othon.

A year later, on March 22, 1901, Eugenia's sister Nelly Rosenkranz had her first child, her son Walter Jacob.

Eugenia Isaacs lived with her mother at Lübeckerstraße 19, 4th floor, until her marriage. Eugenia Isaacs was 30 years old when she married the 35-year-old merchant and authorised signatory Alfred Eduard Zimmermann on October 24, 1903. Her husband (born Sept 7, 1868 in Hamburg) was of the Evangelical Lutheran denomination. His parents, Louise Auguste, née Wieler, and Dr. phil. Gottfried Theodor Zimmermann, were also from Hamburg. His father had run a girls' school on ABC Street. His grandfather Carl Gottfried Zimmermann had been a surgeon and his great-grandfather Carl Gottfried Zimmermann had been a socially committed pastor in the Hamm and Horn districts of Hamburg.

After their marriage, Eugenia lived with her husband at Uhlenhorster Weg 2. They occupied the 3nd floor, Eugenia's parents-in-law with their two unmarried daughters lived on the 2rd floor.

On March 29, 1904, her sister Nelly Rosenkranz had her second child, daughter Käthe. Eugenia's sister Elise Singer lost her little daughter Lotte Alice the following year; she died at the age of five on January 8, 1905 in Laage, Mecklenburg-Schwerin.

In March 1911, Eugenia's brother Reinhard Emile was allowed by the High Senate in Hamburg to use the surname Eisex. It can be assumed that he feared professional disadvantages due to his Jewish-sounding surname Isaacs. He had already run his dental practice under the new name around 1903 in Berlin-Charlottenburg at Schillstraße 16. On October 28, 1911 he married the Jewish Berliner Lucie Stern, née Maretzki (born 1881), and lived with her at the nearby Kleiststraße 26, 2nd floor, where he had also moved his practice. Under religious affiliation he was listed as "dissident".

On October 6, 1912, Eugenia's father-in-law Gottfried Theodor Zimmermann died in Hamburg in Uhlenhorster Weg at the age of 83.

Eugenia's eldest sister Rosa Sophie, who had also taken the surname Eisex, moved to Mexico at the beginning of the First World War. Married to the Consul General Othon Maria Vélez, she lived there for about five years. Her husband died in April 1917, and she returned to Hamburg at the end of the war in October 1919.

In the difficult economic times that followed, the company "E. Isaacs", which Eugenia's mother Bertha Isaacs had continued as a widow, went out of business on August 5, 1921. In 1923, the year of hyperinflation, 1 kg of bread cost 23 billion RM, with the great social upheavals, political opponents fighting each other in the streets, two weddings were celebrated in Eugenia's extended family. In March of that year, Eugenia's nephew Leonhard Franz Singer married Renate, née Pfohl (born 1901), a non-Jewish woman from Hamburg. The fathers of the bride and groom, the banker Leopold Singer and the music writer, composer and professor Ferdinand Pfohl, acted as witnesses.

After his emergency school-leaving examination at the Wilhelmgymnasium, his military service from 1914 to 1918 and subsequent studies of national economics in Hamburg, Leonhard Franz Singer had worked at the Darmstadt National Bank and had become a journalist for the "Hamburger Presse" and "Kölnische Zeitung".

Eugenia's niece Käthe Rosenkranz married Jacob Nachemsohn (born 1894), a merchant from Copenhagen, on December 21, 1923. She then moved with him to London. When her mother-in-law fell ill, Eugenia Zimmermann mainly took over her care. Louise Zimmermann, née Wieler, died at the age of 81 on July 20, 1925 in St. Georg Hospital. It is likely that Eugenia Zimmermann opened a trading business because of her difficult economic situation.
Eugenia Zimmermann opened a trading business. She obtained the necessary trade licence on July 30, 1925. In a shop at Mittelweg 124 she sold chocolate, jams, cocoa, tea as well as sugar and baked goods.

On August 15, 1930, the husband of Eugenia's sister Nelly Rosenkranz died. Siegmund Rosenkranz had made a name for himself as the owner of the private banking house Lisser & Rosenkranz in Hamburg and with a banking firm of the same name in Amsterdam. He had played a major financial role in the founding of Hamburg University.

On New Year's Day 1931, Eugenia had to say goodbye to her 84-year-old mother Bertha Isaacs, née Hauer. She passed away in her flat at Grindelallee 126/128 and was laid to rest in the Jewish cemetery Ilandkoppel Ohlsdorf, grave location ZX 10, No. 383. Eugenia's sister Rosa Sophie Vélez, née Eisex, had lived with her. In the year the National Socialists came to power, on June 21, 1933, she also died there at the age of 68. She had suffered from inflammation of the heart muscle and kidneys after a bout of influenza. Her urn was buried in the communal grave at Ohlsdorf cemetery, grave location Bm 69, No. 46.

With the onset of persecution of the Jews by the National Socialists, Eugenia's nephew Leonhard Franz Singer had to resign from his chairmanship of the Reichsverband der Deutschen Presse e. V. in 1933, which he had held since 1929. From October 1, 1925 he was head of an editorial office in Hamburg and also worked for radio plays on the radio, also for stations in Stockholm and Copenhagen. He left Germany and moved to London because he had good business connections there and could continue to work for the "Kölnische Zeitung" and the "FZ - Frankfurter Zeitung" as a London business correspondent.

Eugenia's sister Nelly Rosenkranz emigrated via Amsterdam to England in 1934 to join her daughter Käthe Nachemsohn, as did her son Walter, whose licence to practise law, which he had obtained in 1928, had been revoked in April 1933 due to the "Law for the Restoration of the Professional Civil Service" because he was Jewish. Nelly Rosenkranz had previously had to sell her house at Oberstraße 108, which had passed into the possession of Prof. Max Nonne for 40,000 RM.

At the beginning of the year, on January 12, 1934, the husband of Eugenia's sister Sophie Peter died of liver cancer at the age of 65. Three days later, the cremation of Wilhelm Peter took place on January 15, 1934 at the Ohlsdorf crematorium. The urn was handed over to the G.B.V. funeral society the next day and buried on August 24, 1942 in the Ohlsdorf cemetery "with decoration and plants" in the double grave that Sophie Peter had chosen for herself and her husband, grave location R 13 I, no. 88.

Wilhelm Peter had been an independent salesman and had worked for the Ackermann and Wulff company as an advertising agent for the Reich Economic Service. Sophie Peter got into financial difficulties after his death. Her husband's outstanding commissions were confiscated by the tax office for debts in arrears. She was not entitled to a pension and had to rely on the support of the welfare authorities. She could no longer pay the rent of RM 88.50 for the three-and-a-half-room flat at Fuhlsbüttelerstraße 309, 3rd floor. Initially, it was planned that she would move in with her son Edwin and family in Bornstraße. For the move with the old household, the very large and heavy furniture, which was prescribed to her children, the Wohlfahrt had already granted 20,- RM. Finally, Eugenia took her sister Sophie into her flat. On 19 March 1934, Sophie Peter moved into Uhlenhorster Weg. She only had to pay RM 4.50 rent per month for her room. Eugenia Zimmermann could not do without this money; her husband was seriously ill with cancer. On December 12, 1934, Alfred Eduard Zimmermann died at the age of 66 in the flat they shared; they had spent 31 years of marriage there together.
Four days later his cremation took place on December 16, 1934 at 12:00-13:35 in the Ohlsdorf crematorium; afterwards at 1:35 a funeral service took place "with candlesticks, plants and harmonium or organ music". The urn was buried two days later by the Kröger funeral company in the family grave that Eugenia's father-in-law had chosen for himself, his wife, children, children's children and also for Eugenia Zimmermann already in 1906 at the Ohlsdorf cemetery, grave location AA 23, no. 242.

The economic situation also became increasingly difficult for Eugenia Zimmermann. She received a monthly widow's pension of RM 17.80 from the R.V.A. (pension insurance for salaried employees) and RM 19 in small pensioner's assistance. She was only able to keep her flat, for which she had to pay 71,- RM rent every month, with the help of her brother-in-law, the art historian Prof. Ernst Zimmermann (born 3.11.1866 in Hamburg); she had rented part of the flat to him for 35,- RM per month. As former director of the porcelain collection in Dresden, from 1912 to 1933, he received a pension from the Saxon state. Three times a year he came to Hamburg and then lived for a long time with Eugenia, in the apartment building where he had spent his youth with his parents.

It was November 12, 1936 when Eugenie and Sophie said goodbye to each other for a long time. Sophie Peter went on an overseas trip on the steamer "Roosevelt". She wanted to visit her son Othon, whom she had not seen for eleven years. In May 1925, he had emigrated to the USA, married there and in the meantime had to support his two children Ursula (born 1929) and Ralph (born 1932). He worked in a New York café as a confectioner. His relatives in America had pooled the fare for his mother. On the return journey, Sophie Peter visited her sister, presumably Nelly Rosenkranz, in England for six weeks. On July 8, 1937, she arrived back in the port of Hamburg with the "City of Norfolk".

The economic situation of the two sisters remained difficult and the persecution measures intensified. Eugenia Zimmermann received a monthly Reich allowance of RM 12 since April 1, 1938. They could not expect any support from Sophie Peter's son Edwin in Hamburg. He was mainly unemployed, could only work intermittently as a steward and had two small children to support.

They continued to receive support from Sophie Peter's son Othon. Every month he sent a food parcel from New York. Nevertheless, the situation became even more burdensome because the welfare authorities decided that the simple guideline rate should be sufficient for Sophie Peter because she was Jewish. The support of RM 36.00 paid since 1933 was reduced to RM 20.00 per month on July 2, 1938. The sisters' applications to join the Jewish community had been rejected by the community because they had married Christian husbands. A letter of January 4, 1939 had been returned to them in a sealed envelope. After the welfare authorities had consulted the two sisters again on January 16, 1939, the next day their brother-in-law, Ernst Zimmermann, promised to continue paying half the rent for the flat and to provide for Eugenia Zimmermann's living expenses. For Sophie Peter, to whom he had no family ties, he asked for the continued support payment of welfare.

In March 1939, Eugenia's sister Elise Singer and her husband Leopold were able to escape persecution by the National Socialists from Hamburg to Brazil. Their son had made emigration possible in London with the help of the Brazilian consul.
Leonhard Franz Singer had still been able to work for the "Bremer Nachrichten", "Weser Zeitung", "FZ" and Dutch and Scandinavian newspapers in London until the end of 1936. Until then, the "FZ" had been able to withstand the repressive measures of the Ministry of Propaganda. A year after his parents emigrated, he followed them into exile in Rio de Janeiro with his wife Renate and their son Joachim.

The sisters' brother, Reinhard Emile Eisex, who had already been divorced since April 1927 after 16 years of marriage, also left Berlin and emigrated to London, England.

The sisters Eugenie and Sophie sought to emigrate to the USA. Sophie Peter's son Othon wanted to act as guarantor. However, he was still missing an important prerequisite - American citizenship. His naturalisation proceedings were still pending after 14 years. As soon as he was naturalised, Sophie Peter would be able to drive. Eugenia Zimmermann would have had to wait a little longer, as she was not an immediate relative. For Sophie Peter, however, it was clear that she only wanted to emigrate together with her sister. For Easter and Mother's Day 1939, her son Othon sent 75 register marks from New York; he had sent the same amount a few times for the purchase of a coat and other clothing. (Registermark is an accounting unit for money deposited abroad for people in Germany who received the amount in Reichsmark).

Ernst Zimmermann fell seriously ill in the spring of 1939; he could not send any more money in May because he needed a nurse day and night and had to finance this. After the brother-in-law's payments had ceased, the sister from England, probably Nelly Rosenkranz, supported Eugenia Zimmermann from June 1939 onwards with 2,- Registermark per month for the duration of six months.

However, the existential worries became even greater. After a meeting with the two sisters on 12 June 1939, the welfare authorities came to the conclusion that support for Sophie Peter could be discontinued altogether and transferred to her son in the USA. The expensive flat could be given up and some of the furniture sold because emigration was planned. Both women could move into another household for a cheaper rent.
Sophie Peter was informed that the welfare support would be discontinued as of 1 August 1939. Eugenia Zimmermann was forced to partly sublet her flat, to non-Jews this was forbidden by law for her as a Jew; so from November 1939 she took in the Jewish couple Olga and Hugo Wolfers as subtenants in her flat (for biographies see The sisters' situation became even more hopeless when Eugenia's brother-in-law Ernst Zimmermann died in Dresden on 6 January 1940. His ashes were transferred to Hamburg and found their final resting place in the family grave, grave location AA 23, no. 240. The right of disposal for the grave, which had passed to Eugenie Zimmermann as the sole survivor at that time, expired with the resting period in 1971.

On 2 January 1940, Sophie Peter's son Othon Peter was granted American citizenship. However, this came too late for the sisters. Presumably everything took too long for them. When a ban on emigration for Jews was then issued on 23 October 1941, their hope of escaping to the USA was completely taken away.
Shortly afterwards, the deportations of Jews from Hamburg began. Eugenia Zimmermann's lodgers Olga and Hugo Wolfers were deported to Riga on 6 December 1941 and murdered. (Stolpersteine at Hofweg 31 commemorate them and their son Heinz, who had previously been a victim of the National Socialist "euthanasia" crimes).

With the death of their husbands, the sisters Eugenia Zimmermann and Sophie Peter had lost the protection of the "privileged mixed marriage". In February 1942, after more than 38 years, Eugenia had to leave her home and move, together with her sister Sophie Peter, to a "Jewish house", the Mendelson-Israel-Stift. There they met her grandcousin Martha Schlesinger; her maternal grandfathers were brothers. The household goods from their flat at Uhlenhorster Weg 2, 3rd floor, were transported to the Grabenstraße camp on 30 March 1942 at 9 a.m. in ten packing crates by the Hamacher company under the name of the former subtenant Hugo Wolfers. In a public auction on 9 April 1942 at Drehbahn 36, 72 items came into the possession of Hamburg citizens. The household goods, including an oil painting for RM 47 to a bidder named Moser and three bronzes for RM 5.20 to someone named Mäddel, yielded total proceeds of RM 1279.70 for the Chief Finance President of Hamburg. Among them were 60 miscellaneous plates, which went to the auctioneer Goeben at Langenhorner Chaussee 252 for RM 24.

Then the sisters were separated. Eugenia Zimmermann was deported to Theresienstadt on 19 July 1942 together with 22 other residents of the Mendelson-Israel-Stift. Sophie Peter had to move to the "Judenhaus" Haynstraße 7, 1st floor, in November 1942.

Further information about the life of Eugenia Zimmermann can be obtained from a family friend. Adolph Theodor Hasche (1871-1966) had spent some time with Eugenia's husband Alfred Zimmermann in Chile on business and had been friends with him. In his unpublished memoirs, written after the Second World War, he wrote the following:
"[...] and later, in Hamburg, he [Alfred Zimmermann; M. L.] became a loyal, reliable friend to me. He married a Jewish woman, Eugenie Isaaks, whom he had met in the Frankfurter & Liebermann office, where they both worked. I attended the wedding celebration as the only non-Jew, but nevertheless felt very comfortable in this circle. It turned out to be a very happy marriage. The Zimmermanns had no children, but they took care of our children very lovingly, and they also thought a lot of them. Even after Alfred's death, we remained good friends with the widow, and neither she nor we had any idea of the terrible things that lay ahead for the poor woman. Soon after Hitler came to power, as already mentioned, the Jew-baiting began. Mrs Zimmermann had to give up her small, very well-kept household on Uhlenhorsterweg, giving me many good books, some of which she gave me, while I tried to sell others for her. She was then sent with other Jewish women to Fuhlsbüttel to a so-called home, where we also visited her. Every four weeks she came to Hamburg to get food ration cards for herself and the other women, but as a Jew she was not allowed to use a tram (since 24 March 1942 Jews in Germany had been forbidden to use public transport), so the small, delicate woman arrived in Hamburg quite exhausted. We offered her to spend the night with us, which she did, and the next day she was back in Hamburg.
Like all Jews, she had to wear a yellow star on her clothes. But then all these women were transported away. We said a sad goodbye to each other, and I can still see her standing there in my mind on the path in Fuhlsbüttel where we said goodbye to each other. As we looked around again, she stood there for a while, waving after us. She had given us some silver things for safekeeping, which were to be ours if she didn't come back, plus a diamond ring that Wolfgang was to inherit if he returned from the war alive. As we learned later, Mrs Zimmermann was taken to Theresienstadt, where she died with her sister. Before she left, she asked me to visit her husband's grave in Ohlsdorf from time to time, which I did. But now I no longer know how to find it."
Eugenia's sister Sophie Peter was also deported to Theresienstadt one and a half years later, on 19 January 1944. Her flat in the "Judenhaus" in Haynstraße was sealed by the Gestapo. Sophie Peter's son Edwin Peter was not allowed to take anything out of the flat. He himself was conscripted as a "half-Jew" to clean up and salvage work in the rubble area. The non-Jewish daughter-in-law managed to buy the remaining household on 7 February 1944. The amount of RM 3,291 was collected by the Hamburg Chief Finance President.
It can be assumed that the two sisters met again in the Theresienstadt ghetto or even lived together. Four months after the deportation, Sophie Peter died there on 19 May 1944 after a time of hunger and cold. She was 74 years old. A Stolperstein commemorates her at Uhlenhorster Weg 2.
Eugenia Zimmermann, née Isaacs, endured the inhumane conditions in the Theresienstadt ghetto for almost three years. Three weeks before the end of the war, on 16 April 1945, she died at the age of 71.

The fate of the other family members
Eugenia's sister Nelly Rosenkranz, née Isaacs, was naturalised in Great Britain in February 1947. Their son Walter took the surname Roxton. He died in Munich on 13 December 1960 at the age of 59. Her son-in-law Jacob Nachemsohn had also died in London in 1953 at the age of 59. Her widowed daughter Käthe married Ernest G. Bradley in her second marriage in July 1960. Nelly Rosenkranz lived to the age of 98, she died in London, Camden in March 1979, her daughter Käthe Bradley in April 1998 at the age of 94.

Eugenia's sister Elise Singer stayed with her family in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. On 21 May 1943, her grandson Joachim died there at the age of 19, and one year later, on 23 May 1944, her husband Leopold Singer. Elise Singer was 92 years old; she died on 24 October 1965 in Rio de Janeiro. Her son Leonhard Franz Singer, divorced since 1950 (his first wife went back to Germany), married Rosi, gesch. Lewin, née Brotzen. She brought daughter Steffi Kaufmann Rehfeld and their daughters Miriam and Eva into the marriage. Eugenia's nephew Leonhard Franz Singer died on 19 June 1968 in Rio de Janeiro at the age of 70.

Edwin Peter, Sophie Peter's elder son, returned to Hamburg from the USA with his family after the war. He died in Hamburg-Bergedorf on 29 September 1977 at the age of 81. His cremation took place at the Ohlsdorf cemetery. The urn was buried after a funeral service in Chapel 2 on 20 October 1977 in the Peter family grave, grave location R 13, No. 88 III 3. The preserved family grave is still visited today.
Othon Peter, the younger son of Sophie Peter, died in Platte, Missouri, in February 1984 at the age of 84, his wife Ilse four months later.

Eugenia's brother Reinhard Eisex married in March 1951 in Hamstead, London, in his second marriage to the widow Johanna Elly Simon, née Grünbaum. Three years later, in September 1954, he died at his home in Londo at the age of 78.
The Association of Jewish Refugees in Great Britain published an obituary for him in November 1954. It says of his life that he was a successful progressive dentist in Berlin for over 40 years, the first to use a dental X-ray machine. Many celebrities from the stage and film were among his patients. As a great lover of animals, he was hardly ever seen in the streets of Berlin without the company of his dog or one of his monkeys. This helpful, modest and selfless man will be gratefully remembered by all who knew him.

Stand: August 2023
© Margot Löhr

Quellen: 1; 4; 5; 7; 8; StaH, 132-5/2 Bank-, Kredit- und Währungswesen, Alt. Reg. 01 f Fasc. 20; StaH, 135-1I-IV Staatliche Pressestelle, 3365; StaH, 213-13 Landgericht Rückerstattung, 5908 Lotte Singer; StaH, 214-1 Gerichtsvollzieherwesen, 718; StaH, 231-3, Handelsregister, A 6 Bd. 25 Nr. 6455 Edwin Isaacs, A 12 Bd. 37 Nr. 33766 Edwin Isaacs; StaH, 231-7 Handels- und Genossenschaftsregister, A 1 Bd. 64, Nr. 15412; StaH, 314-15 Oberfinanzpräsident, R 1942/0081 Eugenie Zimmermann; StaH, 332-3 Zivilstandsaufsicht, Geburtsregister, A 29 Nr. 1850/1867 Julia Elise Isaacs, A 44 Nr. 640/1868 Wilhelm Peter, A 71 Nr. 3675/1869 Sophie Serafine Isaacs, A 71 Nr. 3676/1869 Wolfgang Hauer Isaacs, A 97 Nr. 6386/1870 Clarita Adele Isaacs, A 164 Nr. 7409/1873 Hannah Eugenia; StaH, 332-3 Zivilstandsaufsicht, Sterberegister, C 66 Nr. 5922/1869 Wolfgang Hauer, C 163 Nr. 6336/1874 Estella Francisca; StaH, 332-4, Austritt aus einer staatlich anerkannten Religionsgemeinschaft IV D 10; StaH, 332-5 Standesämter, Geburtsregister, 1874 u. 3463/1876 Reinhard Emile Isaacs, 1924 u. 4281/1878 Nelly Angelina, 2411 u. 1935/1896 Edwin Peter, 91331 u. 1710/1897 Leonhard Franz Singer, 13090 u. 2093/1899 Lotte Alice Singer, 13273 u. 534/1900 Othon Peter, 13614 u. 801/1901 Jacob Walter Rosenkranz, 14184 u. 842/1904 Käthe Rosenkranz; StaH, 332-5 Standesämter, Heiratsregister, 2790 u. 346/1892 Leopold Singer u. Julia Elise Isaacs, 2860 u. 206/1896 Wilhelm Peter/Sophie Isaacs, 8596 u. 398/1899 Sigmund Rosenkranz u. Nelly Angelina Isaacs, 6433 u. 422/1903 Alfred Eduard Zimmermann u. Hannah Eugenie Isaacs, 9597 u. 593/1923 Josef Nachemsohn u. Selma Goldschmidt, 8780 u. 703/1923 Josef Nachemsohn u. Käthe Rosenkranz, 8778 u. 100/1923 Leonard Franz Singer u. Renate Pfohl, 13628 u. 6/1931 Edwin Peter u. Erna Lehmann, 14013 u. 180/1933 Edwin Peter u. Leonora Ahrberg; StaH, 332-5 Standesämter, Sterberegister, 319 u. 5601/1892 Nathan Hauer, 29 u. 3508/1877 Sophie Victor, 394 u. 2042/1896 Edwin Isaacs, 6898 u. 913/1911 Gottfried Theodor Zimmermann, 894 u. 1063/1925 Louise Auguste Zimmermann, 8107 u. 1/1931 Bertha Isaacs, 8118 u. 295 /1933 Rosa Sophie Vélez, 7158 u. 16/1934 Wilhelm Peter, 7154 u. 870/1934 Alfred Eduard Zimmermann, 10567 u. 897/1977 Edwin Peter; StaH, 332-7 Staatsangehörigkeitsaufsicht, AIf Bd. 105 Nr. 1045/1854 Edwin Isaacs, BIa Nr. 389/1849 Wolff Sander Hauer, BIa Nr. 595/1850 Simon Hauer; StaH, 351-11 Amt für Wiedergutmachung, 4088 Nelly Rosenkranz, 18660 Edwin Peter, 20041 Leonardt Franz Singer, 25212 Renate Singer, 24649 Walter Roxton, 25212 Renate
Singer, 27410 Werner Singer; StaH, 351-14 Arbeits- und Sozialfürsorge, Nr. 1672, Sophie Peter; StaH, 352-5 Gesundheitsbehörde, Todesbescheinigungen, 1896 Sta 21 Nr. 870; 1933 Sta 3 Nr. 295 Rosa Sophie Vélez, 1934 Sta 21 Nr. 870 Alfred Eduard, 1934 Sta 21b Nr. 16 Wilhelm Peter; StaH, 522-1 Jüdische Gemeinden, Geburtsregister, 696 c, Nr. 68/1837 Rosa Hauer, 696 d Nr. 9/1847 Bertha Rebecca Hauer, 696 f Nr. 185/1864 Rosa Sophie Isaacs; StaH, 522-1 Jüdische Gemeinden, Heiratsregister, 702 b Nr. 12/1833 Philip Sander Hauer u. Betty Wagner, 702 b Nr. 20/1835 Wolff Hauer u. Sophie Victor, 702 c Nr. 70/1854 Edwin Isaacs u. Rosa Hauer, 702 e Nr. 91/1863 Edwin Isaacs u. Bertha Hauer; StaH, 522-1 Jüdische Gemeinden, Sterberegister, 725 h, Nr. 219/1857 Rosa Isaacs; StaH, 622-1 Familienarchive, 326 Familie Hasche; StaH, 741-4 Fotoarchiv, K 3879 Gewerbeschein Eugenie Zimmermann, K 6328; Archiv Friedhof Ohlsdorf, Beerdigungsregister, Feuerbestattungen, Nr. 2750/1933, Nr. 3133 A/1934, Nr. 4665 A/1934, Grabbriefe Nr. 41658/1906, Nr. 163228/1942; Hamburger Adressbücher 1870–1943; LaB, Heiratsregister, Charlottenburg I Sig. 63 Nr. 735/1911 Reinhard Emile Eisex u. Lucie Stern; Datenbankprojekt des Eduard-Duckesz-Fellow und der Hamburger Gesellschaft für jüdische Genealogie, Grindelfriedhof, Ohlsdorf 1883–1889, 1931–1939, A 11-317, ZX 10-383, http://jü, eingesehen am: 22.2.2022; Renate Hauschild-Thiessen: Eugenie Zimmermann geb. Isaacs (1873–1945), in: Hamburgische Geschichts- und Heimatblätter 12 (1991), Nr. 8/9, April 1991, S. 200–2003; Björn Eggert: Hugo Wolfers,, eingesehen am: 22.2.2022; Family events, Death Dr. Reinhard Eisex, S. 8,, eingesehen am: 28.3.2022; "Brasil, Cartões de Imigração, 1900–1965", database with images, Family Search, Julia Sara Elise Singer, Immigration,, eingesehen am: 7.2.2016, citing 1939, Arquivo Nacional, Rio de Janeiro (National Archives, Rio de Janeiro); Adolph Theodor Hasche (1871–1966): Lebenserinnerungen, unveröffentlicht, Bd. 1, S. 93 f., Einsichtnahme mit freundlicher Erlaubnis von Dr. med. Hans Henning Hasche; *Zu Max Nonne siehe
Zur Nummerierung häufig genutzter Quellen siehe Link "Recherche und Quellen".

print preview  / top of page