Search for Names, Places and Biographies

Already layed Stumbling Stones

Martin Neuhaus * 1876

Grindelallee 132 (Eimsbüttel, Rotherbaum)

1941 Minsk

further stumbling stones in Grindelallee 132:
Ilse Cohen, Wolff Cohen, Bruno Cohn, Clara Cohn, Paul Grünewald, Friederike (Frieda) Neuhaus

Martin Neuhaus, born on 26 June 1876 in Bremerhaven, deported to Minsk on 8 Nov. 1941, murdered
Friederike "Frieda” Neuhaus, née Berlin, born on 16 Apr. 1881 in Hamburg, deported on 8 Nov. 1941 to Minsk, murdered

Grindelallee 132

The commercial clerk Martin Neuhaus was the son of Markus Neuhaus and Ida, née Geiger, and a member of the Hamburg Jewish Community since 11 Oct. 1914. A few years earlier, he had moved from Lehe to Hamburg together with his wife Frieda, a native of Hamburg, and the twins Ilse and Erich (born on 12 Dec. 1908 in Lehe near Bremerhaven). The third child of the couple, Gerhard Alexander, was born there on 4 Mar. 1913. Martin and Friederike "Frieda” had married on 23 Aug. 1907. Frieda was the daughter of Meir and Malka (Malchen) Berlin (see Grindelallee 139). She had attended the Fröbel Seminar and trained as a kindergarten teacher. As the Altona Rabbi Eduard Duckesz wrote in his Family History of Rabbi Lase Berlin, published in 1929, she was able to use the knowledge she had acquired in this way "well in the education of her own children.” Rabbi Lase Berlin was Frieda’s great-great-great-great-grandfather and the Berlins were a family with many branches. Frieda herself had five other siblings: Ivan (who died in an accident in 1901), Alexander, Siegfried, Eduard, and Minna. Siegfried was married to Dora, née Sacharewitz, Alexander to Frieda, née Heyn (both lived in Lübeck), Eduard to Fanny, née Meyer, and Minna to Richard Meyer. The latter owned the Woll-Meyer Company on Grosse Bergstrasse in Altona, where Martin Neuhaus found work after moving in from Lehe.

Frieda Berlin’s family owned a house at Grindelallee 132, where Frieda’s grandfather had already run a grocery store. From about 1908 onward, her brother Siegfried ran a goldsmith’s business there, and he also became head of the Synagogue Community in 1919. Eduard Duckesz wrote about him: "He was a jeweler, an affectionate son, a good brother, a kind-hearted man. However, due to a tragic accident, he was killed in the prime of life, at the age of 37, at Rosh Hashanah [the Jewish New Year in early fall] of 1920.” The Jewish New Year celebration Rausch Hashono/Rosh Hashana fell on 12 Sept. 1920, and so it was entered in the civil death certificate as the date of Siegfried Meyer’s death. Siegfried left behind his wife Dora with their two-year-old daughter Malchen and their only two-month-old son Kurt (see Stolpersteine in Hamburg-Altona and The newly born son may have been a reason why Frieda’s sister Minna and her husband Richard Meyer took Malchen in as a foster child (for Minna Meyer, see the biography about Malchen Berlin, Grindelallee 139, on

A few years later, Martin and Frieda Neuhaus were also grieving: Their son Erich was only 20 years old when he died on 1 May 1928, according to Rabbi Duckesz, "of a treacherous disease.” About two years later, the Neuhaus couple moved to Grindelallee 132. Previously, they had lived in Altona, at Am Felde 26, in Hamm-Nord at Chateauneufstrasse 19 e, and finally, in Horn, at Snitgerreihe 38. Around 1937, their daughter Ilse married Wolff Victor Cohen (see above, also Grindelallee 132 and, a journeyman butcher from Neustadtgödens. Both of them had lived at Grindelallee 132 since about 1935.
According to information on his Jewish religious tax (Kultussteuer) file card, Martin Neuhaus earned a gross income of 182.60 RM (reichsmark) per month in 1938 and in the first three months of 1939. After that, he no longer had any income subject to Jewish religious tax. Finally, he was forced to work as an "excavator” (according to the deportation list). On 8 Nov. 1941, Martin and Frieda Neuhaus as well as their daughter Ilse and her husband Wolff Victor Cohen were deported to Minsk and murdered there.

Martin and Frieda’s son Gerhard Alexander Neuhaus, who had worked as a commercial clerk, moved to Berlin in 1934. From there he fled to Palestine in 1936 and survived the Holocaust.

Translator: Erwin Fink
Kindly supported by the Hermann Reemtsma Stiftung, Hamburg.

© Dieter Wolf/Frauke Steinhäuser

Quellen: 1; 5; 8; StaH 351-11 Amt für Wiedergutmachung 38611; StaH 522-1 Jüdische Gemeinden 992e 2 Bd. 2; Hamburger Adressbücher; Gewehr: Kurt, S. 42ff.; Duckesz: Familiengeschichte, S. 116ff.
Zur Nummerierung häufig genutzter Quellen siehe Link "Recherche und Quellen".

print preview  / top of page