Search for Names, Places and Biographies
Already layed Stumbling Stones
Chaim Max Schwarz * 1900
Vierländer Damm Ecke Lindleystraße (Hamburg-Mitte, Rothenburgsort)
CHAIM MAX SCHWARZ
ZBASZYN / POLEN
Anna Schwarz, née Linden, born on 19 July 1913 in Lüneburg, expelled on 28 Oct. 1938 to Zbaszyn
Chaim Max Schwarz, born on 6 July 1900 in Kolomea, expelled on 28 Oct. 1938 to Zbaszyn
Intersection of Billhorner Röhrendamm/Lindleystrasse (Billhorner Röhrendamm 76)
At the end of 1935, Anna Linden moved from Harburg to Billhorner Röhrendamm 76, changing from the Harburg Jewish Community to the German-Israelitic Community in Hamburg. Her parents came from the Polish town of Kolomyja (between 1772 and 1918 Austrian: Kolomea; today Kolomyia, Western Ukraine) in what was then Austrian Galicia, where her father, David Linden, was born on 22 Oct. 1886 and her mother, Clara Cywia Linden, née Stappelfeld, on 31 Mar. 1891. They had married on 20 Oct. 1912 in Harburg. Clara Cywia Linden owned 50 percent of "Geschw. Stappelfeld” ("Stappelfeld Siblings”), a furniture and trousseau store in Harburg, which she shared with her sister, Salka Beer. The business was managed by the husbands, while the wives worked there half-time. Anna grew up with her younger brothers, both born in Harburg, Max in 1916, and Julius in 1922. The family lived in solid middle-class circumstances, with the three children attending secondary school.
On 1 Dec. 1936, Anna married her uncle Chaim Max Schwarz, who was 13 years her senior. He was also a native of Kolomea, where he was born on 6 July 1900. Kolomea became Polish in 1919 (Kolomyja), as a result of which Chaim Max Schwarz apparently received Polish citizenship. He took up residence in Hamburg around 1930, starting a business of his own in 1931, a pay-by-installments textiles store in Rothenburgsort. Upon getting married, Anna Schwarz brought working capital into the company, which probably led to the remarkable rise of income in the year 1936, noticeable from the tax payment to the Jewish Community. Other reasons may have been their industriousness and the general economic upturn in the mid-1930s. The store was located at the main shopping street in Rothenburgsort, Billhorner Röhrendamm 76, on the raised ground floor above the branch of Commerz-Bank, the Hermann O. Hoppe wholesale wine store, the H. Eybäcker bakery shop, and the Messmer coffee trading company. Next door, Julius Hartmann operated his watchmaking business and "Miss” ("Frl.”) E. Westerweller her hairdressing salon.
On 28 Oct. 1938, Anna and Max Schwarz were expelled, without any advance warning, in connection with the so-called "expulsion of Polish Jews” ("Polenaktion”). They were taken by train across the German-Polish border to Zbaszyn (German: Bentschen), located 100 kilometers (some 62 miles) east of Frankfurt/Oder along the Berlin–Warsaw train line, and abandoned in the no-man’s-land. The rest of their family was spared as they were classified as stateless. Anna and Max Schwarz did not return even one more time to settle their affairs. The business was handed over to a trustee, liquidated, and rented out for other purposes on 15 Mar. 1939. A relative had the household effects put in storage, though she was unable to send them after the couple to Poland. The goods were auctioned off at a later date. Nothing is known about the subsequent fate of the Schwarz couple.
The brothers Max and Julius emigrated. David Linden died on 12 Apr. 1940 in the Sachsenhausen concentration camp, Clara Linden on 22 Aug. 1941 in the Israelite Hospital in Hamburg.
Translator: Erwin Fink
Kindly supported by the Hermann Reemtsma Stiftung, Hamburg.
Stand: January 2019
© Hildegard Thevs
Quellen: 1; 4; 5; StaH, 351-11 Amt für Wiedergutmachung, 8979; 332-5 Standesämter, 8174+274/1941; AB 1936.
Zur Nummerierung häufig genutzter Quellen siehe Link "Recherche und Quellen".