Search for Names, Places and Biographies
Already layed Stumbling Stones
Minna Fleischhauer (née Rechelmann) * 1860
Kielortallee 23 (Eimsbüttel, Eimsbüttel)
Minna Fleischhauer, née Rechelmann, formerly Alexander, born 30 Mar. 1860 in Schwerin on the Warta, deported 9 June 1943 to Theresienstadt, died there 22 Sep. 1943
Minna was born to Leo and Johanna Rechelmann in the Polish shtetl Schwerin on the Warta (today Skwierzyna), which had belonged to the German Reich since 1871. It was in the Posen administrative district. The members of the Jewish Community, which made up about one-third of the population and were largely reformed, lived in a ghetto until 1833, but after they were granted full citizenship rights many Jews became influential citizens and merchants. The children of Minna’s brother Hermann (1875-1929) and his wife Paula, née Gutkind (1870-1943) were victims of the Nazi’s extermination of Jews. Minna’s nephew Martin (1899-1943), who lived in Berlin, was murdered in Auschwitz. Her niece Philippine (1904-1942) was a patient at the Jacoby Mental Institute (Jacoby’sche Heil- und Pflegeanstalt für Nerven- und Gemütskranke) in Bendorf-Sayn near Koblenz. Jewish mental patients were concentrated here, and were deported to the transit ghetto at Izbica, where they were murdered immediately upon arrival.
Minna and her first husband in Hamburg were divorced. She then married the insurance agent John Paul Fleischhauer (1972-1908) from Danzig (Gdansk). The couple moved several times. Their last address was Mühlendamm 36, where John Paul died. Minna became a member of the Jewish Community one year later and applied for an apartment in the Vaterstädtische Trust. That same year she was given apartment No. 38 in the Rosenthal Retirement Home, where she lived for the next 30 years, until February 1939. When the home was "Aryanized,” she and the other Jews who lived there were forced to move out, and she moved to apartment No. 43 in the Warburg Trust at Bundesstraße 43, which had been designated as a "Jews’ house.” She was soon forced to move again, this time to the former Israelite Girls’ Orphanage at Laufgraben 37. The girls and their supervisors had been moved to the boys’ orphanage at Papendamm 3. The orphanage now served as a "Jews’ house” for the elderly and those in need of care. A short time later Minna once again received orders to move to the "Jews’ house” at Beneckestraße 6, where the Jewish Community’s administrative offices had been located and now many elderly people lived in very poor conditions. From here, Minna was deported to Theresienstadt, where she died three months after her arrival.
Translator: Amy Lee
Kindly supported by the Hermann Reemtsma Stiftung, Hamburg.
© Angela Schwarz
Quellen: 1; 4; 5; Archiv Vaterstädtische Stiftung.