Search for Names, Places and Biographies

Already layed Stumbling Stones

Henny Dublon * 1893

Jungfrauenthal 37 (Eimsbüttel, Harvestehude)

JG. 1893

further stumbling stones in Jungfrauenthal 37:
Sophie Rosalie Alexander, Hendel Henny Behrend, Dr. Ludwig Freudenthal, Else Freudenthal, Jakob Grünbaum, Lea Grünbaum, Renate Jarecki, Elchanan Jarecki, Arnold Rosenbaum

Henny Dublon, born on 19.6.1893 in Lüneburg, deported on 19.7.1942 to Theresienstadt ghetto, on 23.1.1943 to Auschwitz extermination camp murdered there

Jungfrauenthal 37

Henny Dublon grew up in Lüneburg. Her parents were Bermann Dublon (born 17.2.1852 in Wittlich/Rhineland-Palatinate) and Betty, née Löwenstein (born 11.2.1855 in Reichensachsen). Bermann Dublon's family came from a cattle dealer tradition that was concentrated in Wittlich/Rhineland-Palatinate at that time and was known nationwide. When a modern slaughterhouse was built in Lüneburg at the end of the 19th century, he moved there. Here the Jewish couple lived in a house at Wilschenbrucher Weg 20 from 1910, where Stolpersteine commemorate their children Daniel, Henny and granddaughter Hilde. Henny's brother Daniel (born on 23.5.1895) later worked in the cattle trade like his father.

Henny Dublon remained unmarried and lived in her parents' house in Lüneburg until 1939 - with a short interruption: according to the registration card, she was in Fulda from November 1914 to July 1915, but then returned to Wilschenbrucher Weg in Lüneburg. The reasons for this stay are not known. On the Fulda registration card it was recorded that she worked as a clerk at the Dresdner Bank, further references to an education or occupation are missing.
Her father, Bermann Dublon, died in Lüneburg in 1919.

Her brother Daniel also lived with his first wife Gretchen, née Neufeld (born 3.12.1894) and his daughter Hilde (born 10.9.1924) in their parents' house in Wilschenbrucher Weg during the first years of his marriage. In 1927 the couple separated and Daniel Dublon moved to Hamburg, where he continued to work as a broker in the livestock and meat trade. In 1928 his marriage was divorced, and his ex-wife and daughter also moved to Hamburg.

Together with her mother, Henny Dublon remained in Lüneburg until the final expulsion of the Jewish citizens. Betty Dublon died in September 1939. The Dublons' house in Wilschenbrucher Weg had to be sold to an "Aryan" and now Henny Dublon also left Lüneburg and moved in with her brother in Hamburg.

In the meantime, Daniel Dublon had married his second wife Hertha and lived with her and their daughter Ruth at Curschmannstraße 11. However, according to the Reich-wide law, Jewish tenants had also lost tenant protection in Hamburg, and many Jewish families had to leave their apartments and live as subtenants or in so-called Jewish houses. This also affected Henny Dublon, whose last place of residence since March 25, 1942 was the "Judenhaus" at Jungfrauenthal 37. Daniel Dublon also lived here before his deportation. His second wife Hertha and their daughter Ruth had been able to escape to England in time.

The Dublon siblings received the deportation order for July 19, 1942. Together with their daughter Hilde and her mother Gretchen Dublon, they had to present themselves at the assembly point for this deportation, at the Schanzenstraße school. The transport went to Theresienstadt.

Henny Dublon's life ended in Auschwitz, where she was further deported on January 23, 1943, and presumably murdered shortly after arrival. An exact date of death is not known.

Henny Dublon's niece Hilde, a former student of the Israelitische Töchterschule (Jewish girl’s school), died in Theresienstadt on May 15, 1943 as a young woman at the age of 18. The cause of death was probably malnutrition and typhus.

Gretchen Dublon, on the other hand, was rescued from Theresienstadt in an unexpected way: As the foreseeable end of the war approached, Heinrich Himmler attempted to use the fate of the Jews as a bargaining chip with the Allies in negotiations with foreign Jewish representatives. For example, he had agreed with the former chairman of the Swiss Federal Council, Jean Marie Musy, to let thousands of Jewish concentration camp inmates leave Switzerland for the USA in exchange for trucks and foreign currency. But only one transport of them materialized: on February 5, 1945, 1,200 people left Theresienstadt, uncertain whether the trip would actually lead to freedom. Gretchen Dublon was one of them.
Thus, shortly before the end of the war, she escaped to Les Avants/Montreux, Switzerland, where she worked as a nurse until 1946, when she emigrated to the United States, to St. Louis. She died there in 1964.

Daniel Dublon experienced the liberation of the Theresienstadt ghetto by the Red Army in May 1945 and then joined his wife and their daughter Ruth in London. The family returned to Hamburg in 1950, where Daniel - though severely impaired in health by the imprisonment he had suffered - again became active in the cattle business. He died in 1960 at the age of 65.

Translation Beate Meyer

Stand: February 2023
© Ursula Mühler

Quellen: StaH 213-13_7313, 314-15_R 1940/0147, 351-11 16497, 16599, 35650; Auskunft vom Stadtarchiv Lüneburg (9.12.2021); Auskunft vom Stadtarchiv Fulda (18.5.2022); Broschüre "Stolpersteine in Lüneburg und Adendorf", hrsg. Geschichtswerkstatt Lüneburg e.V. 2020; Hamburger Adressbücher von 1939-1942;

print preview  / top of page