Search for Names, Places and Biographies

Already layed Stumbling Stones

back to select list

Dina Adloff (née Weinberg) * 1878

Kielortallee 24 (Eimsbüttel, Eimsbüttel)

1941 Minsk

further stumbling stones in Kielortallee 24:
Mendel Bari, Peter Glück, Hertha Köpcke, Frime Frieda Rappaport, Srul Saul Rappaport

Dina Adloff, née Weinberg, born on 11 June 1878 in Hamburg, in "preventive detention" between Oct. 1937 and Apr. 1939 at Moringen and Lichtenburg Concentration Camps, deported to Minsk on 18 Nov. 1941.

Kielortallee 24

Many years, Dina Adloff lived with her husband in the St. Pauli district at Hafenstraße 114 – later number 102/104 – where the couple ran a barber’s and a cigar shop.

Dina Adloff’s parents were Rosalie Weinberg, née Schöneberg, and the "Lotteriecollecteur" Hermann (Herz) Weinberg. When Dina was born, her parents were living at Kieler Straße 73. Dina had three siblings: Frieda (married Dannenberg, born in 1874), Paula (married Lenz, born in 1886), and Siegfried Weinberg (born in 1875). Only Paula survived the time of National Socialism. Stumbling Stones commemorate Siegfried Weinberg and Frieda Dannenberg in the area of Hamburg Neustadt.

Dina was married to the Non-Jewish gentlemen’s hairdresser Emil Hermann Adloff (born on 11 Sep. 1880). He came from Curau at the East Prussian district of Braunsberg. The married couple had one child that died at an early age. Hermann Adloff was taken ill and died in May 1930. After that, life became increasingly difficult for Dina, and the situation worsened for her as a Jews when the political atmosphere changed after 1933. Already in 1931 she had to give up the business for economic reasons and had to leave the apartment. During their marriage, she had been running the household, but she could not maintain the barber’s. She did not command any fortune and when she did not find any work, she had to apply for social welfare. Because of this, various letters, reports about controls, applications for benefits, approvals and refusals exist from the time prior to her deportation. She received social welfare for the first time in February 1930 – three months before her husband died.

The financial problems also meant a problem to find housing; Dina Adloff was forced to move a lot prior to her deportation. When she left the Hafenstraße, her file at the welfare office stated: "There is a big dog living at the household, which shall be removed within the next days.”

Dina Adloff moved from Hafenstraße to Sophienstraße 37 III (at Nemitz‘) in November 1931, and in January 1932 she moved to Alter Steinweg 81 (at Worthmann’s). In the same year she became a lodger at the Kaiser-Wilhelm-Straße 35 II where Walter Leske’s cloth shop was located. She lived in a room next to the shop until March 1935. The next address was Brüderstraße 13 I. A little bit later she moved back to Kaiser-Wilhelm-Straße and in June 1936 moved to Baumeisterstraße 19 II, because Walter Leske wanted to use the rooms at Kaiser-Wilhelm-Straße for his business.

The undertenancy with Walter Leske lead to difficulties; since the social welfare support was not enough to make a living – Dina Adloff received 10 Reichsmark per week and had to pay 6 Reichsmark rent per week for the flat at Baumeisterstraße – she cleaned Leske’s domestic and business premises. For this work, she occasionally received cloths and a small wages. Even after having moved, she continued this work until late 1936. It is now clear how the administration heard about this undeclared work, but Dina Adloff was accused of continued fraud, because she had not informed the social welfare office about her additional earnings. Since there had never been anything arguable about her lifestyle before, the sentence on 19 Mar. 1937 was lenient; she was sentenced to ten days in prison.

Dina Adloff was under constant pressure because she received social welfare; the administration tried to find work for her. In July 1937 they found work for her in a sewing room at Rosenallee. In a form her employer had to fill in, she was described as "willing – but clumsy”.

Between Oct. 1937 and Apr. 1939 Dina Adloff was put under "preventive detention" because of alleged "Rassenschande". She was interned partly at Landeswerkhaus Moringen (Solling), and she was released from Lichtenburg Concentration Camp. The social welfare office cancelled the payments when Dina Adloff stopped collecting them. Allegedly, the officers thought she was on holidays at an unknown place. It is possible that the office had not been informed about her internment.

After having been released Dina Adloff lived at Rappstraße 6 I (at Glodschidt’s), and a little bit later at Wilhelminenstraße 24 IV (at Liebeich’s). It is not known when exactly she had to move to the "Jews’ house” (Judenhaus) at Kielortallee 22/24. On 18 Nov. 1941 she was deported to Minsk. Her household and personal effects were auctioned off and proceeded 47 Reichsmark.

Translator: Paula A. Oppermann
Kindly supported by Hermann Reemtsma Stiftung.

© Susanne Lohmeyer

Quellen: 1; 4; 5; StaH 213-8 Staatsanwaltschaft OLG Verwaltung Abl. 2 451a E1, 1b; StaH 213-11 Staatsanwaltschaft Landgericht Strafsachen 2772/37; StaH 332-5 Standesämter, 966 und 163/1930; StaH 332-5, 1932 und 2730/1878; StaH 351-11 AfW AZ 110678; StaH 351-14 Arbeits- und Sozialfürsorge Abl. 1999/2 Adloff, Dina; HAB II 1910, 1918, 1926; KZ-Gedenkstätte Lichtenburg, Informationen per E-Mail von Sven Langhammer, 11. u. 12.3.2011.

print preview  / top of page