Search for Names, Places and Biographies

Already layed Stumbling Stones

back to select list

Louis Leiser Süßkind * 1868

Sievekingsallee 99 (Hamburg-Mitte, Hamm)

1942 Theresienstadt
ermordet 24.09.1942

further stumbling stones in Sievekingsallee 99:
Flora Süßkind

Flora Süßkind, née. Mehrgut, b. 5.19.1875, deported to Theresienstadt on 7.15.1942, date of death there on 7.19.1942
Louis/Leiser Süßkind, b. 3.14.1868 in Oschmiany (Belarus), deported to Theresienstadt on 7.15.1942, date of death there on 9.24.1942

Sievekingsallee north side, between Launitz- und Schulenbeksweg (Sievekingsallee 39, with Tietz)

The married couple Süßkind moved first to Hamm when the basis of their economic existence was destroyed.

Leiser Süßkind was born in Oschmiany on 3.14.1868; his wife, Flora, née Mehrgut, came from Hamburg, where she was born on 5.19.1875. He was a member of the German Israelite Congregation of Hamburg from at least 1913. Their children were born before this date: John on 3.4.1895 and William on 7.22.1899 in New York, Elsie on 12.28.1904 in Hamburg. John fell in the First World War.

From 3 March 1916 until 15 March 1934, Louis Süsskind worked as an authorized representative for the Jos. Süsskind, Export/Import firm on Gröningerstrasse and disposed over a good income. Although he was already 66 years old, he was still fully capable of working and would have continued to do so, if he had not had to give up the business. Abruptly, he became unemployed and had to have an appointed trustee liquidate the firm; in 1941, finally, he had to liquidate it himself. Meanwhile, the provision for his old age in the form of foreign securities had become worthless and his savings were exhausted.

Dr. Tietz, at whose address the Süsskinds lived, was the father-in-law of their daughter, Elsie/Elise. Elise had married the physician Friedrich Tietz in 1925 and lived with him in Schwerin, where he conducted a medical practice in the health insurance system. Even though he had served in World War I in the medical corps, he was excluded from the health insurance system in 1933. He resettled with his in-laws in Hamburg and initially began a practice located at Haynstrasse 15; soon thereafter he opened a private practice at Sievekingsalle 39. Until the beginning of 1936, the Süsskinds lived with their children. Then they moved into the Jewish old people’s home at Sedanstrasse 23-25.

William Süsskind married Bertha, née Auerbach, and already emigrated in 1933, probably to France. In March 1936, Friedrich Tietz emigrated to the USA; his wife and sons, Gerald and Walter, followed in October.

Around 1940, Ralf Jonathan Süsskind, a nephew the same age as Elsie, was living in Hamburg. His Uncle Louis administered a small bank account for him "because he was suffering and not able to stand on his own, as was stated to the Office of the Chief Financial Governor.

Ralf was deported from Rentzelstrasse 3 to Minsk on 8 November 1941. On 15 July 1942 Louis and Flora Süsskind were deported to the Theresienstadt ghetto. Flora poisoned herself immediately after her arrival; her husband died two months later of enteritis.

Translator: Richard Levy
Kindly supported by the Hermann Reemtsma Stiftung, Hamburg.

Stand: January 2019
© Hildegard Thevs

Quellen: 1; 3; 4; 5; 7; StaH, 522-1, Jüdische Gemeinden, 391 Mitgliederliste 1935; 992 e 2 Deportation Bd. 2; AfW 140368.
Zur Nummerierung häufig genutzter Quellen siehe Link "Recherche und Quellen".

print preview  / top of page